New update IS HERE! .8BETA9!
  • Hey All, I know that this last update has been a pain in neck for some of you. It was just bad luck as far as timing was concerned. The pi2 dropped unexpectedly, which caused some headaches, as well as mame4all moving their sourcecode.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that we are close to releasing an update (hopefully this Friday). It should fix the problems with installing mame, configuring joysticks, and some scraper issues. We have also been working on a few features like hide/unhide emulators right from the main menu, and a file watcher that will automatically scrape your roms as they are uploaded. So keep an eye out for the update.

Get it: https://github.com/ssilverm/piplay-installer
  • Excellent. Thanks for all the hard work.
  • Will this be an update that we perform right from the menu?
  • Any updates on this update?
  • also waiting with great anticipation. after a weekend of headaches trying to get things working I have thrown in the towel and decided not to do any more until the new update is out.
  • Shea posted on his blog today that it would be out in the next day or so

http://blog.sheasilverman.com

Can't wait
  • Im also very excited! Shea and the others have done a great job so far and its exciting to see this thing evolve.
    I just wish I could contribute with more than just my constant questions...
  • I just wish they release it before the weekend. I have friends coming over for a retro gaming afternoon on Saturday.
  • we are trying our best to get it out as soon as possible, but we have to work through all of the bugs first.
  • I think that the plan is to keep it for now because a lot of people use their piplay systems for other stuff too. We may go through and write up a clean-up script for people that don't care about the extras. Shea has also re-written the installer. So you can install a minimalistic version of raspbian and then just run the installer, rather flashing the piplay image.
  • Awesome!
    Do I need to make a fresh installation or can I just use the menu updater?
  • you can just use the updater menu.
  • Updating. Thanks. Is there a changelog somewhere?
  • Anyone getting a failure after updating?

alsactl: load_state:1647: Cannot open /root/pimame/config/piplay-sound.state for reading: No such file or directory
    Found hardware: "bcm2835" "Broadcom Mixer" "" "" ""
    Hardware is initialized using a generic method
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./launchmenu.py", line 69, in
    main()
    File "./launchmenu.py", line 15, in main
    cfg = PMCfg()
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 24, in __init__
    self.config_cursor.execute('UPDATE options SET roms_added = 0')
    sqlite3.OperationalError: no such column: roms_added
    pi@raspberrypi ~/pimame/pimame-menu $

Everything was working fine, then I updated.... and now the above is what happens when I restart.
  • I had an error when I ran the updater from the piplay menu. Not sure what the error was. I ran the installer (bash installer.sh) from the command line expecting a fresh install but cleared the error and booted back into my pimame configuration. Haven't confirmed I'm on beta9 yet though.
  • @rolandblais - just open the popup menu, and adjust the volume, then exit the menu. that will create the file for you.
  • @stork- do this:
    git clone https://github.com/ssilverm/piplay-installer
    cd piplay-installer
    bash updater.sh
  • Damn Internet went out in my neighborhood! Hopefully they fix it tonight so I can try. Thanks again for the hard work!
  • @mholgatem yep... up and running. Thanks!
    EDIT
    Is there a way to tell what beta version we are on? I've updated via both the graphical interface and update.sh but getting a "New Version Available" prompt top left.
  • @mholgatem is it updater.sh or update.sh? I got an error with updater.sh, but Since the github page shows update.sh, I went with that and it seems to be running.
  • @krayzielilsmoki - There were changes in the control scheme but for that file, user changes override them. You just need to re-download that file, like this:
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ssilverm/pimame-menu/master/pmmenu/pmcontrols.py -O /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmcontrols.py
  • I see the update doesn't address the debouncing issue of the joystick in Xin-mo. I guess this is still a kernel issue, correct?
  • great Job guys! am flying back from a trip to asia at the Moment but will start downloading as soon as I get home tonight. i followed the links and checked the download page, but I dont seem to have the possibility of downlaoding the Image file to my Laptop. am I missing something?
  • @fattyphunt get the image of raspicade and take the custom kernel stored in the temp directory of the pi user. Install it it should work.
  • @englischdude - the 4GB file was still uploading when you checked. It should be finished and propagated through sourceforge now
  • @mholgatem, I still have the same issue after trying that. I will probably do a fresh install just to clear out all other potential bugs.
  • @ian57 - That worked well. The kernel resolved the debounce issues even better than the hacked kernel I used for beta 8.
    I'm still having issues with NES joystick controls: either the control configure isn't working, or the fceux isn't getting configured properly. What should the settings be for SDL.Inputs in fceux.cfg for joysticks?
    Maybe the defined input device isn't getting set by piplay. I got it to work with minor issues in beta-8 but I didn't keep good notes.
  • Can I get stella to run with beta-9?
  • Thanks for the response. But, PiPlay launcher doesn't stay open to be able to open the pop-up menu. I tried creating the file by hand, but still didn't work. got "no state present for card alsa" error. I'll keep plugging away and see what I can figure out. Thanks!
  • @rolandblais - in command line type this:
    alsactl --file ~/pimame/config/piplay-sound.state store
  • After updating in place from beta 8... how do we confirm we are on 9? I'm still showing "New Version Available" prompt top left?
  • Check the version file in your pimame folder. It should be set to 11
  • (WARNING... Long Copy/Paste Below)
    Thanks... I'm at 10 (as expected) and was there from a fresh beta8 image. The only additions from stock... I've added roms, configured for a usb audio adapter and rotated the screen. I updated both via the option on the piplay menu and then via the command line and get the same error each time. Here are the clues. In the interim. I'm working on a new sd card.

Starting Update…
    current version:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    bc is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Updating 2c707a4..4e53efc
    error: Updating the following directories would lose untracked files in it:
    emulators

Aborting
    Checking out files: 100% (12/12), done.
    M database/config.db
    Warning: you are leaving 51 commits behind, not connected to
    any of your branches:

9ae1e0d removed stella for now
    7da4872 Merge pull request #62 from mholgatem/master
    0c31ba9 bug fix
    9d06424 Merge pull request #61 from mholgatem/master
    ... and 47 more.

If you want to keep them by creating a new branch, this may be a good time
    to do so with:

git branch new_branch_name 9ae1e0d1933d17c2a3375acbc18f505fe4f95a7b

Switched to branch 'master'
    Saved working directory and index state WIP on master: 6a6a449 Merge pull request #69 from mholgatem/master
    HEAD is now at 6a6a449 Merge pull request #69 from mholgatem/master
    Already up-to-date.
    # On branch master
    # Changes not staged for commit:
    # (use "git add ..." to update what will be committed)
    # (use "git checkout -- ..." to discard changes in working directory)
    #
    # modified: database/config.db
    #
    # Untracked files:
    # (use "git add ..." to include in what will be committed)
    #
    # piplay-installer/
    no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
    Dropped refs/stash@{0} (2da4f097b292a2f5f1514df4b45be84e5b369666)
    Now at 11 function
    Updating 2c707a4..4e53efc
    error: Updating the following directories would lose untracked files in it:
    emulators

Aborting
    Submodule 'controller-setup' () registered for path 'controller-setup'
    Submodule 'dispmanx' () registered for path 'dispmanx'
    Submodule 'pimame-menu' () registered for path 'pimame-menu'
    Submodule 'pimame-web-frontend' () registered for path 'pimame-web-frontend'
    Submodule path 'pimame-menu': checked out '9ae1e0d1933d17c2a3375acbc18f505fe4f95a7b'
    Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release.gpg
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    sqlite3 is already the newest version.
    supervisor is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    cp: cannot stat `/home/pi/pimame/supervisor_scripts/file_watcher.conf': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/home/pi/pimame/supervisor_scripts/gunicorn.conf': No such file or directory
    Restarted supervisord
    update.sh: line 108: 23
    28: syntax error in expression (error token is "28")
    You are now updated. Please restart to activate PiMAME :)
  • Does the scraping add the covers or do we need to do that manually again?
  • @Pristopher - you'll have to grab those manually for now. I need to run a kickstarter or something so I can afford to host all the images myself.
  • My issue is I don't know who made those .debs. I'm not going to install a custom compiled library just in case there's a security risk. Once I can compile it myself, they will be included.
  • Every PiPlay download link I try is taking around 12-19 hours to download ADSL 2. I did have it half downloaded then it stopped , corrupted and I had to start again. Googling other sites and downloads seem fine and quick.. Anyone else taking so long or is it just me?
  • Hi, I did a fresh install but joysticks/joypad using pov hat buttons as main directions are not recognized (I own 2 ps3 Hori arcade joysticks), is this a fixable issue?
  • @hinchhinch - ill try and find a mirror. SourceForge gives me unlimited transfer for free and mirrors across the US, but sometimes they are overloaded. It's hard to host a 4GB file.

I'll keep looking for solutions.
  • @ssilver2k2 ... I finally downloaded it. I just hate waiting ;-) thanks Shea, I can't wait to muck around with it tonight!
  • Awesome work keep it up ^_^

Ive hit it a snag or 2 after updating last
    Every emulator except mame4all seem to have been deleted so for example when selecting a rom i get
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/dgen-sdl-1.32/dgen: not found

theres no dgen folder in emulators, tho theres nothing in emulators except mame4all

Any idea's how to correct this?

Only changes ive made other than mapping keys was a themes tweak to the emulator selection screen and hidden a few unused emulators in there to

Also seem to have had an issue for a few versions when i click to map controllers and select All the only 1 it dose is the first in the list then jumps back to the list once sorted. then again a few of the mappings crash because it cant find the location to save the file to so maybe there currently connected?
  • Im really loving this new update. I love the toggle menu item visibility. I hated using the web front end and changing 1 to 0 and hitting save for individual ones (would be nice if I could do multiple at once) but this really makes it simple!
    Keep up the great work guys!
  • @pongo1471 - there appears to be a problem with the updater, if some files were changed by the user, then the new repo fails to initialize. In the meantime, I would recommend giving this a try:
    cd /home/pi/pimame/emulators/
    git submodule init && git submodule update
  • I just tried to run the updater and also get errors. Mine says something about Mame already existing, then exits. I tried it a second time, then rebooted. PiPlay still says an update is available. Checking the log, it still shows version 10.

Guess I'll need to download the image and try that.
  • Hey. This is my first run at something like this. Could use some help. I have updated raspbian. Installed piplay via
    wget http://pimame.org/installer.sh
    Bash installer.sh
    Sudo reboot

Piplay did not load instead I got this:
    Traceback:
    File "launchmenu.py", line 69, in main ()
    File "launchmenu.py", line 15, in main
    cfg = PMCfg ()
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 24, in__init__
  • @wirthjp - That is an old installer, you should remove /home/pi/pimame and all of its contents then use the instructions found here: https://github.com/ssilverm/piplay-installer
  • Whoops. Forgot to update that installer.sh file. It is now updated, but yes, always use the github piplay-installer repo. That is the most up to date.
  • Do I just use:
    Rm -rf /home/pi/pimame

Or is there an Uninstaller ?

Another note I have tried to use the piplay-installer. It downloads to my system and I can see it in the DIR, and I have tried cd piplay-installer and it says it's not a DIR. I tried bash piplay-installer and it gives an error.

I will try installer.sh again now that it's updated and once you confirm my removal command is correct. Thanks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!