New update IS HERE! .8BETA9!
  • that will work.
  • Maybe I'm blind and/or stupid, but I cannot find the Controller setup utility anywhere.

E: disregard. Tab menu. found it.
  • Thanks for updating the installer.sh file. Installed and loads now.
    New problem: I have no audio.
    I have tried : alsactl --file ~/pimame/config/piplay-sound.state store

And : $ touch ~/pimame/config/piplay-sound.state

Also adjusted volume in piplay menu, forced audio through hdmi and 3.5 mm jack.

Can't get any sound.

When I exit piplay to command prompt this is right before the prompt.

-bash: / home/pi/.profile: line 30: syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'
    -bash: / home/pi/.profile: line 30: 'fi'

Any suggestions?
  • @wirthjp - try this:
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    un-comment (remove the '#') the line that reads:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    then just under that line, add this one:
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
    Hopefully that will get the audio playing through your hdmi for you.

that -bash /home/pi/.profile error that you are getting means that there is an error in your .profile script. Either you are missing an 'if' or a closing ')' or '}' or ']' somewhere. check over your code, if you cant find the error, post it here to the forums
  • Thanks for the fast response mholgatem i shall give it a try soon as i get chance!
  • Thanks a lot for all the help mholgatem. I got the sound working tried what you said, but that didn't work I had to uncomment the line below it: hdmi_drive=2. Now I have sound through hdmi.

Last error I think even though everything seems to be working. More of an OCD issue.
    Here is a pic of the syntax error:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u391/wirthjp/Mobile Uploads/20150402_222226_zpskz9gt2km.jpg

And here is a pic of the location: there are a lot of if and if in there I don't know which one is the issue.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u391/wirthjp/Mobile Uploads/20150402_222347_zps2coy5xci.jpg

let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help getting this going the whole family will have a blast with this.

• Ehm... an update to the guide really help new users...
    http://pimame.org/quickstart.html
    :)
  • @wirthjp - in your .profile, that last section (the last 8 lines) shouldn't be there.

just delete the lines that say
    if [ $DISPLAY == ""] && [ $SSH_CLIENT == ""] && [ $SSH_TTY ==""]; then
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi
  • @CrazyFamily - yeah, you are right. I have started cobbling together a new guide and some new FAQ's. Things have just been changing so fast with everything about piplay lately though. Shea and I feel like we have finally hit a milestone with this last release though, so hopefully we'll have that updated soon.
  • Thanks I deleted those 8 lines and that got rid of the syntax error.

New issue: I have tried to fix this myself and have read through the forums to try to fix this but can't figure it out.

I am using a wireless Xbox 360 controller. I have mapped the buttons and dpad for the snes. When I use it in a snes game the movement switches to the left analog stick and the dpad controls save states. I have also opened
    Nano /home/pi/pimame/config/xboxdrv_mapping.cfg
    The controller mapping in the .cfg file matches what I input in the controller mapping so I don't know what is going wrong.
    Let me know if I need to post a screen shot of any particular files. Thanks again for all the help.
  • Any ideas about my previous post??
  • Hi All,
    I'm having a problem updating from beta8 to 9.

I tried the upgrade from the menu, did'nt work.

After git clone https://github.com/ssilverm/piplay-installer, bash updater.sh I get the same syntax errors as Stork.

I am reluctant to rm -rf /home/pi/pimame, as my roms are in there.

Is there a way to fix this without loosing all my settings / roms?

I also have the joystick in Xin-mo controller, is that now fixed or do I need to use another kernel?

Many Thanks
    Ian

• @Evozero - you could just do mv /home/pi/pimame/roms /home/pi/roms then rm -rf /home/pi/pimame run the installer, then mv the rom folder back
  • I'm unable to update my older version of PiMame to piPlay on my RPI B rev1 (256mb) because I'm getting out of memory (malloc) errors. Should I prep a new SD card (so I don't need to update on the device) or is there some other way around this issue?

Update: I used raspi-config to allocate more ram to the cpu and I was able to get through the updates, however my system is clearly messed up in some way. I get errors about missing theme files and my database is non-existent. I guess I'll try prepping this card from scratch on my laptop.

Thanks!
  • I did a clean install on a freshly installed and updated debian system. Used:

git clone https://github.com/ssilverm/piplay-installer
    cd piplay-installer
    bash installer.sh

took its time and successfully installed piplay, told me to restart to start piplay

boots through debian and then gives me this

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "launchmenu.py", line 4, in
    from pmmenu.pmconfig import *
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 1, in
    import yaml
    ImportError: Mo module named yaml
    -bash: /home/pi/.profile: line 28: syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'
    -bash /home/pi/.profile: line 28: 'fi'
    pi@raspberrypi~/pimame/pimame-menu $

never get to the splash screen. I had it working a few days ago and then tried to install stella and mucked it up so i started fresh and now I have reinstalled twice with the same results.

Thanks for any help
    Woomfaw
  • Any suggestions? Do you need more information about my problem?
  • @woomfaw - it looks like your install did run correctly. Did you expand your filesystem in raspi-config before running the piplay install?

For the specific errors that you have listed though, you can try this (it may or may not fix your overall situation).

- importError: no module named yaml
    This means that the python-yaml module did not get installed correctly, you can fix this by typing this at the command line
    sudo apt-get install python-yaml

-bash: /home/pi/.profile: line 28: syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'
    This means that there is an error in your ~/.profile script. You can take a look at it using
    sudo nano ~/.profile
    It' not expecting the close of an 'if' statement (bash uses 'fi' to close an 'if' statement).
    It could be a number of things. There could be no opening 'if' statement, or you could be missing a closing parenthesis ')'. It's usually fairly easy to spot, but if you can find it, just post your .profile script on here and I'll take a look.
  • Thanks. I'll try your fixes later today. If I can't spot the error I'll post the .profile script. Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something small but don't know enough programming to troubleshoot properly.

Thanks again.
  • nah, it's all good. I can't figure out why it happens to some people and not others.
  • Thanks the apt-get worked. Now to find some roms and test it out.
  • @mholgatem

I updated yesterday because of problems getting games to work on MAME4ALL (still haven't found a single working game, but anyway) - after the update I noticed that all other emulators (NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive) had all disappeared from the emulators folder (ironically the mame4all-pi folder is still there, the one I can't seem to find a working game for)

I found this thread and have just tried your suggestion:

cd /home/pi/pimame/emulators/
    git submodule init && git submodule update

However, I get this:

pi@FWARCADE1 ~/pimame/emulators $ git submodule init && git submodule update You need to run this command from the toplevel of the working tree.

So, I tried going up a level:

pi@FWARCADE1 / $ cd /home/pi/pimame/
    pi@FWARCADE1 ~/pimame $ git submodule init && git submodule update
    Submodule 'controller-setup' () registered for path 'controller-setup'
    Submodule 'dispmanx' () registered for path 'dispmanx'
    Submodule 'pimame-menu' () registered for path 'pimame-menu'
    Submodule 'pimame-web-frontend' () registered for path 'pimame-web-frontend'

So that did...something? But still no emulators. :(

pi@FWARCADE1 ~/pimame $ ls emulators/
    mame4all-pi

What to do?
  • The emulators should automatically show up when roms are present in the rom directories. If they don't, you can either press 'tab' in the main menu and then choose 'hide icons' (this will allow you to choose which ones are visible or not, it's still in beta testing, so it doesn't work with every theme), your other option is to go into the web admin panel->database admin->menu items. Then set the visibility of each item (1=visible, 0 = hidden)
  • waiting on my pi2 to arrive - any updates on the mame emulator and if MK 1/2/3 are working or NBA Jam? They ran terribly slow on rp1
  • Hi everyone, I am having some issues running PiPlay on my pi2. I do get piplay to open on boot, but it doesn't do anything. During the first boot I can not get past the welcome screen with any keyboard or mouse input. Restarting gets me past the welcome screen. If I try to do anything with the mouse it just makes that part of piplay transparent and I see the desktop or menu for raspbian. I did see several warnings about missing files during install, but I thought that I did all of the necessary updates before installing piplay. It also shows that it is unable to check for updates, but it is connected to the internet.
  • "The emulators should automatically show up when roms are present in the rom directories. If they don't, you can either press 'tab' in the main menu and then choose 'hide icons' (this will allow you to choose which ones are visible or not, it's still in beta testing, so it doesn't work with every theme), your other option is to go into the web admin panel->database admin->menu items. Then set the visibility of each item (1=visible, 0 = hidden)"

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for taking two weeks to say so.

When I say the emulators have disappeared, I don't mean "disappeared from the menu", I mean the emulators FOLDER (when browsing by SSH/FTP) is empty, except for the mame4all-pi folder, which remains. Prior to the update that folder contained the emulators for SNES, MS, NES, Genesis. The update deleted them. The ROMs still exist in the ROMs folder, it's the emulators themselves which have gone.

They still show up on the "main menu" screen on the pi when booted, and the games are listed, but when I try to run a game I get an error telling me the emulator isn't installed.

Halps :(
  • I am having the same problem as xxaosicxx.

After updating PiPlay to the new version, all of the emulators were deleted from my Pi. The only remaining item in the /emulators folder is mame4all, but the folder is empty. This has now happened twice, first using the GitHub installer then the Update PiPlay option. Oddly, it only happened after I restarted my Pi. The emulators and the roms all show in PiPlay, but there is nothing to open/run them.

Any suggestions on what the issue may be?

Is there a way to reinstall the emulators without a fresh installation of PiPlay each time? If that would even work.

I appreciate the help.
  • try this in command line:
    cd /home/pi/pimame/emulators
    git submodule init
    git submodule update

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!