pimame menu will not launch on boot
  • I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing working. I modified the /boot/config.txt to get my VGA monitor to work by uncommenting the lines:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=1

Now since doing that, VGA screen works but piplay does not load.
    Below is the error:

alsactl: load_state:1647: Cannot open /home/pi/pimame/config/piplay-sound.state for reading: No such file or directory
    Found hardware: "BRCM bcm2835" "Broadcom Mixer" "" "" ""
    Hardware is initialized using a generic method
    cant load image: themes/default

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "launchmenu.py", line 68, in
    main()
    File "launchmenu.py", line 15, in main
    cfg = PMCfg()
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 33, in __init__
    self.screen = self.init_screen(self.options.resolution, self.options.fullscreen)
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 112, in init_screen
    sys.exit()
    NameError: global name 'sys' is not defined

On another note, I have had issues with Mame4All installing, VGA issues and now this.
    Should I be reporting these as bugs somewhere or are these known issues being bundled into the next release?

I am using 0.8beta7
  • looks like it is failing this check in pmconfig.py

if(pygame.display.mode_ok((dinfo.current_w,dinfo.current_h),pygame.FULLSCREEN)):

anyone know what this check is for???
  • @visy - yes, that check basically says: if pygame can initialize the screen: then goes on to return the screen object. It's related to your vga problems.

All of the other gobbledy-gook that came before the Traceback (most recent call last): are just warnings, you can ignore that. If you can avoid using vga, I really recommend it. If you can't, you should set hdmi_group = 2, and hdmi_mode to a resolution that your monitor can handle.

are you using an active or passive hdmi to vga converter (active will have it's own power cord)?
  • No power cord so it's passive.
    does it make a difference?
  • I've heard that you can possibly burn out a diode on your pi if it draws too much power (I've never done it myself, but I've only ever tested with an active converter).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!