New Update?
  • Am I the only one checking this forum 5x per day hoping for the new update to be released?
  • I just installed the new beta today and gave Shea my notes on what needed to be fixed (I'm not sure if he is going to re-compile it or just make a downloadable update). It's pretty much ready to go, just those last couple things.
  • Can you give us any info/details on what has changed?
  • -Big performance boost (on my overclocked system, we went from ~25% cpu usage in idle mode, to ~8%)

-Connor created a new wifi utility to make it super easy to set up a wifi dongle.

-2 player controller config options

-added an area for game descriptions in the rom list (the scraper will be updated to grab game info soon)
  • ooh, also a long awaited feature. After exiting an emulator, piplay will restart in the romlist for the system that you were in.

more images have been added to final burn, the scraper will be able to find them after the update.
  • Ohh! Cant wait for the awesome changes!
    Hopefully the controller setup is linked to the right files so it actually saves.
  • Does this controller setup only have to do with xbox controllers or also traditional joystick/button configuration? I'm having big difficulties with the mame4all controls. When I hit tab and attempt to configure a game, it doesn't respond to the button pushes, but it does respond to them in the game. How on earth am I supposed to configure the controls, if the setup doesn't register the buttons/joystick directions? If we could get mame4all to use simple editable cfg files instead of this binary stupidity ... :) Sorry for the rant.
  • This update is for all controller types, but mame4all is it's own beast. I'll look into it, to see if we can manually set the controls. I would imagine that it's possible.
  • update now available :)
  • Just updated!
    I can confirm that the formatting has changed to accomodate game descriptions, but there are no descriptions yet (not until the scraper is updated)
    When exiting a game it goes back to the rom list.
    The Piworld (mario theme) is included but does not work for me.
    Once I get a chance Ill look into the controller setup and report any issues I may find.

Thanks for the update!
  • Update failed, only partially applied.
    This was my first update from the Kickstarter SD card.
    Update complained about a non-tracked file (PiPlay.mov) and aborted the git update.
    Menu etc. updated fine.
    Result after restart: Still claiming 'New version available', WiFi config menu item exists, but the script it calls does not.
    Am I the only one with this problem?
  • Exactly same issue for me. So I decided to format and reinstall my sd card.
  • New version available is on my as well, update seems to be succesful each time tho
  • Bad update for me also. I plugged ethernet cable in Pi and powered on and then selected update PiPlay just like I did when updating from beta 4 to beta 5 and had no issues. This time after it did the update and it said the update was successful and I rebooted it just loads the splash screen and then goes to the command prompt and displays several errors about expected ":" in the config.yaml file.
  • @jillbenson: can you post the errors that you got?

• @SSilver2k2 @mholgaten :

Here some more info about my update problem.
    Checked the update script and the error occurs on the "git pull" command in ~/pimame.
    The exact error message is:
    -------------
    Updating 19d347c..d6236cf
    error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by merge:
    PiPLAY.mov
    Please move or remove them before you can merge.
    Aborting
    -------------
    Renamed PiPLAY.mov to PiPLAY.mov.save (could also have deleted it) and ran the full update from the pimame-menu. Then it works fine.

I suggest you add a 'rm PiPLAY.mov' before the 'git pull' so everybody who starts updating from a Kickstarter version of the SD card does not have this problem.
  • @tvoverbeek - Thanks for the insight into what is going on.
    yeah, we need to work on the updater a bit.
  • I think I know the issue. looking into it.
  • Issue has been fixed. use the updater tool again.
  • @SSilver2k2 - your update fixed the PiPLAY.mov issue I was having after I reflashed 0.8b6 from IMG last night

However... *cue evil music* ... mame4all-pi appears to be missing. There is a downloaded zip in /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi - however it's zero byte.

This could be an issue with the beta ... or perhaps a stupid user issue and I ran out of disk space.

So two things 1) any chance the pimame-updater can check for disk space before running and 2) how can I re-install MAME on PiPlay 0.8b6?
  • Stupid user apparently...

I found the mame-install.py script, ran it and rebooted. Then PiPlay had a new option to "Install Mame" and my icons for AdvMame and Mame4All were gone. I clicked "Install Mame" and this time it worked like a charm. *shrug*
  • I re did the update, nothings seems to have changed other than the "Update available" message is now gone.

Any ETA on when the rom scraper will start pulling the game descriptions?
  • We have to implement our database first, but then I'll start writing the code to pull descriptions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!