Rotate Screen but AdvMenu has big black bars above and below
  • Hi all,

Im a newbie Linux, Raspberry and PiMame, so please bear with me...

I have successfully turned my 16:9 TV-screen (connected to the Video port, NOT HDMI) to portrait position by adding display_rotate=1 to config.txt. When Raspberry starts up, screen is rotated and the full screen is covered. However, as soon as I start AdvMenu, the menu is rotated correctly, but there are huge black bars above and below, making use of only about 1/3 of the total screen. When I start a game, they too only make use of 1/3 of the screen with big black bars above and below.

I searched everywhere but could not find anything about how to get rid of the bars and make use of the total screen in rotated, portrait position.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
    Cecile
  • Nothing? :-(
  • Am I missing something or why is noone resonding? Am I really only one with rotating screen problem? Thanks
  • I've never used composite to 16:9 screen but how about trying...

Take out the display_rotate=1 from config.txt and put in settings in Advmenu/Advmame/Mame4all for screen rotation.

For advmenu, edit advmenu.rc and add:
    display_orientation flip_xy mirror_x

For advmame, edit advmame.rc and add:
    vertical/display_ror yes
    horizontal/display_ror yes

For Mame4all, edit mame.cfg and add:
    ror=yes

This will mean the Raspberry boot up text will be in horizontal mode but the menu and games will be ok.
    I have this configuration using HDMI to a 4:3 LCD and the screen is filled pretty well.

Good luck!
  • Thanks Johnnygal, I will give that a go and report back!
  • Hi again johnnygal,

I followed your suggestions with mixed results:

For advmenu, edit advmenu.rc and add:
    >> This worked perfectly

For advmame, edit advmame.rc and add:
    vertical/display_ror yes
    horizontal/display_ror yes
    >> This didn't do it for me, I had to change it to:

vertical/display_ror yes
    horizontal/display_ror no

For Mame4all, edit mame.cfg and add: ror=yes
    >> this rotates the games only but not the MAME4ALL menu... How can I turn the menu listings in the frontend as well?

Thanks so much!
    Cecile
  • Don't know how to rotate the Mame4all menu.

Maybe use the Advmenu menu system, calling Mame4all if you want to use Mame4all as the emulator instead of advmame
  • Hello,

I have same problem.
    My configuration is a RPi on hdmi - vga connector and work perfectly, i will try to configure with vertical monitor VGA on 1024 x 768. I change a rPI config.txt for rotate all and work perfectly. The problem is a advmenu is correct visual rotate but big bars above and below.

For advance menu.rc add this :

but dont resolve.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!