Upgrading to PI Version 2B
  • Hi Folks - I have PiMame running nicely on my old Raspberry PI and I have ordered the new Pi ver 2.

What is the quickest way to upgrade bearing in mind the following?
    - I have a Xin-Mo controller and I remember having to go through a fairly timely procedure to patch the kernel to get it to work correctly and to get the player 2 buttons working - I'd rather avoid having to go through that again!
    - I have a TP Link 725N that I never got working on my current Pi - it looks like this is more supported now.

If I start from scratch with the latest PiPlay image - will my Xin-Mo work? Anything special you need to do to get the TP Link 725N working?

Thanks in advance!

• right now, you will still have to patch your kernel to get your xin-mo working.

I may be wrong (still trying to get confirmation on this), but I think that if you just run
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo rpi-update

then you can just create a copy of your card onto a micro sd card and you will be good to go.
  • Thanks!

And my Xin-mo should work this way? In theory at least?

• I'm thinking that I'd like to start from scratch with the new PiPlay image. Does anyone know if the Xin-Mo fixes are built in to the image or if this needs to be done separately?
  • if you do the way mentioned above, you won't need to patch your xin-mo (assuming it works). Otherwise, you will need to to patch it separately. It still hasn't been built into the current image. You could always just skip the xin-mo and just wire your buttons and joysticks directly into the GPIO, then use either Adafruit's Retrogame or my GPioneer utility.
  • Thanks - what procedure would you recommend for upgrading to the new PI model?

• Thanks - if I do as you suggest - would that mean I would have to reapply the kernel patch for the Xin-Mo?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!