Few problems with piplay/raspberry
  • my arcade works fine now. but still have few problems left.

1. i have to change the sound to headphone jack. thats no problem and it works. But after restart the audiosettings get a reset. so i have to change it every time. thats anoying as hell... some ideas what to do?

2. is there a command to go from the terminal back to piplay? i always restart the Rpi. maybe theres a better way?

3. NES emulator. i start a game and the game starts. so far so good. but i cant play because START and SELECT dont work as they shout. they type 5 and 6 instead. sure, i changed the controllsettings...but still problems.
  • 1. what are you using to change from hdmi to headphone jack?

2. type 'exit' from the command line, that should reload the .profile, which in turn will reload piplay. Alternately, you can also do python ~/pimame/pimame-menu/launchmenu.py

3. what controller are you using? usb/gpio/keyboard/controller?
  • 1. i use this command: amixer cset numid=3 1
    it works...but after restart its 0 again. and my audio just works on 1

2. thx a lot. i will try it later ;)

3. i use and selfmade controller: 2Players each with 8way joystick 4 buttons and 1 Button for COIN/SELECT. So ones u press COIN Player1 AND Player2 get a Credit.
    and one button for ESC. and i use an IPAC. also i still have a keyboard connected.
  • sudo amixer cset numid=3 1?
  • After you use
    sudo amixer cset numid=3 1
    you need to save the state with:
    sudo alsactl store

When you say that you changed controllsettings, do you mean you ran the controller config from the main menu of piplay?
  • so there is no change at all.
    soon as i go back to piplay the value=0
    but if i use startx and start an audio it works.

when i use your command to save the state. theres no info for me.it still worked? is this correct?

its strange...

3. you right. i use TAB and change the controllsettings by pushing the buttons on my controller. i just changed the settings of all emulators. and than tried to change only the settings of the NES-emulator.
  • ok NES is working now. dont know what i changed but it works. just a few irritating texts and symbols popping up. but thats ok.

only one problem left ;)
  • ok, I'm thinking that your sound settings are getting overridden by piplay. Do this:

sudo amixer cset numid=3 1
    sudo alsactl -f /home/pi/pimame/config/piplay-sound.state store
  • omg your my hero :)
    thanks a lot for your time.

few new problems now. maybe u can help again. but so far im more than happy.

i have a video showing up while RPi is starting. video is about 1 min. but the sound is off in this time. the sound starts about 20 sec later and its the sound from piplay and not the videosound. its not a real problem for me. but maybe theres a easy trick?

and again the NES problem. i just want to play the game ballonfight. because my girlfriend likes it a lot. i can play now but just 1player because in the startmenu of the game i cant move the courser. but when i press START (its 1player mode now) everything works but sadly only 1 player. i will try some other games this weekend for some more informations about this problem.
    also i tried to run games by mame4all or advmame. but this emulators dont work on PiPlay. but when i start mame from the desktop everthing works. so right emulator and right roms but its not working in Piplay.
    But i can run FBA thats enough. :)
  • Remember that in balloon fight, you select 2 players by pressing the 'select' button, not up/down.

The audio issue is due to when the audio drivers are loading. If you just google something like 'rpi audio boot animation', you should be able to find a fix. I think that it has to do with renaming the drivers (they get loaded in alphabetical order)

are you using some type of video converter? hdmi to vga or dvi? That can cause problems.
  • yeah your right with the NES prolblem. never tought about the select button... :(
    solved!

im using HDMI. no converter.
    i will spend some time next week to google.
    thx a lot. you are great :)
  • yeah, the select thing gets me every time. Can't tell you how many times I've reconfigured my controllers because I forget that they use select :D
  • so some new things ;)

now i have the final monitor installed in my arcade cabinet.
    it also has audio. so now the problem with the sound at the start is solved.
    The videosound at the start comes trough the monitor. after that the speakers from the cabinet do the rest. Its perfekt for me.

but theres a problem with the monitor. when my arcade gets power. the raspberry starts and everything works. but the monitor is in standby and has to be start manuel.
    never had a monitor like this. is theres an option to change this or is it the monitor it self?

and i also tried to play snes with someone. but the 2 player wont work. i changed to config in piplay with TAB but theres no change to get the 2 player working.
    any idea?
  • yeah, somewhere along the way, the piplay repo got reverted back to the old snes version that only supports 1 player. You can grab the fixed version from my repository at https://github.com/mholgatem/PiSNES/blob/master/build/pisnes.zip?raw=true
    Just download the zip, unzip it and copy the file snes9x to the folder /home/pi/pimame/emulators/pisnes/
  • today i had some time to do some changes.

so i also changed the file.

so i only copied the snes9x file. there were more files but i only copied these.
    and also i overwrite it, of course!? O.o

so now the snes dont work at all :(
    and i didnt saved the old file anywhere.
    so maybe you have an idea what i did wrong, or at least the old file for me? ;)
  • you probably need to set the permissions.
    in command line, do this:
    chmod 755 /home/pi/pimame/emulators/pisnes/snes9x
  • worked perfect ;) thx again
  • cool. glad you got it working.
  • so maybe you can spend some time again. on the mame problem...

so here some informations.
    mame4all
    i cant start mame from the piplay menu.
    every rom i start i get an error.
    but when i go to the desktop and start the .exe from the folder.
    mame starts and the roms work.

i dont get it. wheres the problem?
    im sure i have the right roms. because is works.
    also the roms are in the right folder....

hmm....

is there a option to save the highscores in FBA?

and also i would like to create an theme. i think i start with changing the piworld-theme.
    so its possible just to change the images and it will work? or there some things to be carefull with?
  • the error is a message like 20 lines long.
    its just a moment there than it goes automatic back to piplay menu
    theres no time to read it. so i have no idea :(
  • Shea knows a lot more about the mame side of things than I do, I'll make sure he takes a look at this post, but without an error message, I'm not sure he'll be able to trouble-shoot. just out of curiosity, what format are your roms archived, is it .zip or something else?
  • @ mholgatem there roms are zip files.

@ Caver01

nice idea. thx. heres a part of the text ;)

MAME is an emulator: it reproduces, more or less faithfully, the behavior of several arcade machines, but hardware is useless without software. so an image of the RAMs witch run on that hardware is requiered. such RAMs like any other commercial software, are copyrighted material and it is thereforce illegal to use then if you dont own the original arcade machine. mondless to say, ROMs are not distibuted together with mame. distribution of mame together with ROM images is a violation of copyright

Than there are some options

MAME -list
    MAME -listfull

Other lists:
    -listinfo -listdetail -gamelistheader
    ....and so else

Options:
    -listroms - listsamples
    ...and so else

Pi Options

thats everything...after that it goes back to piplay...
    so its just a message. not exact an error ...hmm

if you guys really need the hole text i can to it..
  • that's what I'm thinking as well. It sounds like it's not launching without the arguments.
  • so i checked a few things

so the command line is correct
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame

and the roms are in the correct folder
    /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all

but i found something strange.

so i have the folder
    /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all
    there are the roms. and thats the folder where piplay says it launch the roms.

but the roms are also automaticly in this folder
    home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms

so when i execute mame with the desktop it needs the roms from
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms
    otherwise it wont work.

and piplay still knows howmany roms in this folder. but wont start them.
    sounds little bit wierd. sorry for that. hope you know what i like to tell you
  • actually, the reason that both folders are the same is because the mame_install script creates a symbolic link (same as a folder shortcut on windows).

/home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms points to the /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all folder

You need to check the menu items in the database admin panel of the web frontend. The command should look something like this:/home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame "1942a"
  • cant take a look right now.
    but i know the command is different than yours.

its like:
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame "/home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms/1942a"

tomorrow i have more time so i will take a look again

• so checked the admin panel

Menu items list
    command for MAME4all: /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame

Rom Path: home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all

so when i go to the local roms:
    command:
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame "/home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all/1942b"

Rom Path
    /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all/

Rom file : 1942b.zip

so i thought the command for the local roms its diffrent than your commandline in the last post. so i changed this commandline to this

/home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame "1942b"

suprise suprise it worked... O.o

so now i have to change the commandline of each rom!?
    or is there an easy way?

Im happy guys. thx for your help again.
    at least i have found a way how to run these roms
  • ok, like Caver01 said, you need to turn off the menu option to include full path (web interface->db admin->menu items->include_full_path). After that, you need to manually run the scraper: python /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/scraper/scrape_script.py --clean_slate True
  • you guys amazing. thx one more time.

got it working also 2 player is fine now.
    but mame wont recognize EXIT... i need to press ESC on the keyboard.
    in FBA it works fine. i only can change the config by pressing TAB and change the control for ARCADE right!?
    so arcade is FBA and MAME at the same time. or is there a diffrent option?
  • so fba and advmame are both handled by pressing TAB in the piplay main menu, but MAME4ALL doesn't have an editable config file, so you have to press TAB in a game and then set the general controls so that you can exit.
  • okay so today i tried to change a theme.
    i just changed some images. to test a bit.
    so i but the folder on the Pi and changed to the new theme.
    but it failed.
    error because of non 32 bit files...
    but i think i can handle this one.

but my problem now is that i cant go to piplay. and so i dont know how to change the theme. so i decided to delete the new folder and hoped it will go back to default.
    hmm....no...i was wrong :D

• yeah i hope so but how?
    the only idea i have is to copy "piworld" for example and rename it to the theme i tested.
    and hopefully piplay does what i want to do. but im not sure if it works. dont want to do more damage ...hmm
  • if you go into the web frontend -> database admin -> options -> change 'theme pack' to a different one that is currently on your system.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!