Changing PiMame Main Menu Controls
  • Hello All
    I recently started using PiMame and I love it. I do have one question that I cannot find an answer to. Is there anyway to change the controls in the PiMame main menu? Menu.py? I looked into the actual folder but I didn't see anything that I could change the enter key to something else. I appreciate any information you can give me on this.

Thanks!
  • yes. in menu.py on line 115 you will see:
    if x == ord('\n'):
    x = ord('c')

\n and c are the two command keys in menu.py
    change \n to whatever you want to be your new "enter" key.
  • Awesome! Thanks so much. I love your program, I will show off what I built with it when I finish it up later this week. Quick question if I change '/n' to 'x' That will make pressing the keyboard key x the new enter key, correct?
  • is there also a way to do this for Mame4All? I want space AND control to be the enter key
  • Look for the mame4all.cfg file. Inside that you can edit or add the following...

[frontend]
    #Keyboard controls for frontend only
    # Get codes from /usr/include/SDL/SDL_keysym.h
    K_START=13
    K_SELECT=53
    K_LEFT=276
    K_RIGHT=275
    K_UP=273
    K_DOWN=274
    K_A=306
    K_QUIT=27

#Joystick controls for frontend only J_START=9 J_SELECT=8 J_A=0 AXIS_LR=0 AXIS_UD=1

I think that SPACE is 32 but CONTROL has different numbers for a Left Control and a Right Control.

Good Luck.
  • Hi,
    does anybody have a list what all this numbers mean...
    would make life easier... maybe...

• Here you go Chrisi
    http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15/include/SDL_keysym.h
    I spent an hour looking for that today. I once used it for mupen64plus control mapping.

--
    Conno123009
  • Hi Conno123009,

Thanks a lot for this, i owe you one…
    Hope this is also useful to others…

Christian
  • That's alright, I'm glad to help

--
    Conno123009
  • Hi! Sorry for à stupid question... Bu when you say "yes. in menu.py" where do I find menu.py?? In a folder? If so, how do I get there?

Best,
    Kaj
  • the menu.py file is in /home/pi/pimame_files/menu.py
  • Hello! I am trying to make a portable mame console and i'm wondering can i setup the menu buttons to gpio pins? If yes then how?
  • check out this utility
    https://github.com/mholgatem/gpioneer

alternately, you can look up retrogame on the adafruit.com website.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!