[solved] Boxart not showing up, any advise? [solved]
  • Hey there,

So as i am a total Linux Newbie my Problem might be a super obvious Mistake i made... buuut i simply dont see it if so.

So im having trouble getting the Boxart(s) to show up when selecting (hovering over) a Rom.

- My Box Art images are in the folder shown in the Database Entries when browsing them on the Web based UI. (had to create that Folder and used the GUI via startx for it)

- The images are named as closely as possible to the corresponding Rom names. (changed them around a lot for testing purpose, even the exact same name didnt do the trick)

- The images have been tried with different sizes as PNG or JPEG
    (from Really Big to really smal)

- i deleted the Database Entries several Times and re-ran the scraper afterwards.
    (i am aware that i should scrapĆ¼e once the images are in place)

- since i read that different Themes may offer different container sizes i tried all available themes.

Additional infos:

I only have and therefore tried SNES Roms.

System: Raspberry Pi 2 running .8beta9 PiPlay
    Hooked up to a 1080P Display HDMI to HDMI, disabled Overscan via raspi-config or config.txt (didnt work at first, one of the two did it)

Raspbian and PiPlay both were updated to the latest Version.

Ok, your turn, tell me how Stupid i am. :P

Thanks in advance!
  • ok, some things about the scraper:

- make sure that the images are located in a folder called 'images' inside of the rom folder that you are scraping. so the default for snes would be /home/pi/pimame/roms/snes/images

- the file format can be either png or jpeg (size does not really matter other than huge files may slow things down when browsing your roms)

- if the scraper does not find an image, it will add a default path of /path/to/rom/images/rom_file_name (there will be no extension, piplay will automatically try to load as .jpg and .png)

- you should be using the images I have provided here: Box cover images or Cartridge .png images

You can re-run all of the files in a folder (without needing to delete them from the database first) by running the scraper from the command line like this:
    python /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/scraper/scrape_script.py --clean_slate True

let me know if you continue to have problems and I'll look into it more for you.

• i wanted to use your images but i thought you have taken them down but it
    turns out Epiphany doesnt like mediafire but chromium does.
    (i bothered to read what error msg i got this time ^^)

My images Folder was correct all the time but it is indeed working now, but its working with the pictures i tried to use too!

(when i was talking about size i meant width and height in pixels, i can only talk div tags here but i thought a large image might break out of its designated container)

i think the clean_slate scrape did the Trick and i assume deleting the database Entries somehow wont reset the info the scraper already collected when no image was present?

Well i at least assumed deleting the entry for the roms would be a clean reset and that was my mistake i guess.

Anyways, thanks for the quick and friendly Reply and the work you put into collecting the images!
    [solved]
  • @Claudius - Glad you got it working. Deleting the database entries should have worked, not sure why it didn't. As for the size, any width and height can be used, piplay will auto resize them when it goes to display them, but it has to load them into the memory buffer first, so if they are really large, it may take it a little bit longer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!