MAME installation problems in Piplay
  • Hi everybody.

I'm new in Piplay, MAME and Raspberry, so, please, try to be patient with me :-(

I have downloaded Piplay 0.8.0 Beta 8, create the SD and plug it in my raspberry B+. It works ok ( only a message about piplay-sound.state not found, but I have read that it is not relevant).

Then I proceed to install MAME (by selecting the box icon in the menu) and it seems to be ok ( I get some warnings about files to be rewritten). When the process finish i have a MAME icon in the main menĂº, but when I click it, It goes to the command line with me message "Fatal python error (pygame parachute) segmentation fault".

i've created the SD again ( a couple of times) but the problem remains. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
  • I've follow the procedure and same result. I've expand the file system before doing it. It happens when click in Mame or in Mame4all icons.
  • Make sure your SD card is not too slow. I had issues with a class 4 but all good with class 10
  • I'm having the same issue, Anymore ideas on how to fix?
  • @tgonzalez, @gamdeano - The "Fatal Python error (pygame parachute) segmentation fault" usually means that pygame is not correctly installed. I've never had anyone run into this until today (3 people today). First off, I recommend using the newer .8 beta 9 version, it basically just fixes a ton of bugs that came in .8b8 due to the newer kernel.

if you continue running into this problem or if you want to proceed with .8b8, I would try typing this in command line:
    sudo apt-get install python-pygame
  • I'm getting the same thing and when I check, via apt-get, I am told "python-pygame is already the newest version."

This is a clean install and I get this when it tries to do first run after boot. I downloaded your current image today and did an apt-get update and upgrade (and then even ran your installer.sh again). It happened before all of this and still happens after.
  • @mholgatem, any ideas here since multiple of us are seeing this?
  • @albill (and others having this problem) - it may not be an installation error. What kind of setups do you guys have? Anyone using a touchscreen or unconventional way of getting sound?
  • I had a PiTFT 3.5" but I'm not using touch. I'm getting this on boot when it logs in and tries to run piplay (for the first time). I downloaded your ginormous disc image, etc as I said in my comment three up.
  • I'm seeing the same here. Using the latest image 0.8b9 on a B+.

In my case, I was using a standard NTSC TV via a split cable off of the B+'s headphone jack. At least NES, Genesis and SNES emulation kept kicking out with a segmentation fault error whenever they were selected in the menu (prior to game selection).

I switched over to using HDMI on one of my monitors and everything works as expected. May be related to display output?
  • yeah, from what I have seen, it seems to be an issue with resolution (possibly in combination with the display). I have tried, but have yet been unable to reproduce this error. I have used composite in several different resolutions.

I have had two people successfully get past this error by specifying a display mode in their /boot/config.txt settings.
  • @mholgatem - by "specifying a display mode," do you mean (for NTSC) adding:

sdtv_mode=0

(I'm awaiting delivery of an A/V cable, so I haven't run into this problem yet, but I'm on a tight deadline to get a piplay rig ready for my son's birthday party tomorrow night. So far, everything's worked out great with hdmi, but I want to use an old digital projector that doesn't have an hdmi port. Fingers crossed).

Thanks!
  • @kongorilla-Email me at holgate.mark1@gmail.com and I'll do whatever I can to help you hit that deadline (I got into this whole thing because I came across this project while building an arcade for my son for Christmas, so I've been there)
  • @mholgatem - Thanks for offering that level of service! If I can't get the projector to work, I have a fallback plan which isn't as cool as wall sized retro gaming, but it's good enough and is HDMI friendly. It's also possible the party will be winding down just as it's getting dark enough for projecting games, so the fallback plan might be better anyway. We've already had tons of fun this evening, trying out various ROMs, so I can't thank you guys enough.
  • Always glad to hear when people are enjoying it!
  • editing the framebuffer width & height as in jsreisinger fixed this problem for me, displaying via rca output thru vga converter to an old 17" Dell flat panel. Yay!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!