Joystick and buttons problem
  • Hi all, hopefully somebody can help me here. i have finished building my arcade controls and i am running the new beta9 on my piB+. the problem i am having is when you move the joystick its like the input is oscillating and not a constant input ( a bit like pressing a key multiple times). the effect is movement is jittery and not smooth, movement is also slow. Its a similar problem with the buttons, when you press the button once you fire 3 times. i brought the Xin-Mo controller from Ultracabs and have wired everything according to the diagram. and i have set the controller up from the PiPlay menu without any problems. im no Linux expert so any help would be gratefully appreciated by both me and my son!

Thanks
  • It's a debounce issue with the Xin-Mo.Check out Ian57's answer to solve this.
  • Hi Mholgatem, thank you for your reply, i have copied the custom kernel to my piplay SD card. Ian57 stated that the custom kernel needs to be installed. are you able to give me some brief instructions on how to do this from piplay command line? any help appreciated. thanks
  • that's easy. you need to uncompress the archive :

tar xzf custom_kernel.tar.gz
    cd custom_kernel
    sudo ./install.sh

and that's all. a reboot and everything should be fine
  • Thanks Ian, that resolved the problem with the joystick. the other issue i see is the delay or lag on joystick movement, it moves smoothly now thanks to your fix however the only after holding the joystick in a direction for 1 - 1.5 seconds. is there a known fix for this?
  • That's strange... because I don't have this problem with this kernel? The joystick is very reactive, no delay.
  • I checked my wiring and realised I hd p1 and p2 round the wrong way. I have corrected this and the lag is a lot less, strangely. The issue I have now is after configuring all controls through the piplay menu, including player 2 controls I still can not get pifba to work with two players. It just doesn't accept the start button. Any thoughts?
  • Can't answer to that.. it's a piplay problem ;)
  • @MoodyL, I'm not sure that the version of fba that we are using supports xin-mo at the moment. I'll have to double check with Shea. We had to customize pisnes to handle it, but I'm not sure that we have done the same for fba yet.
  • Thanks for your reply. can you confirm if the other emulators support 2 player Xin Mo? and is PiPlay more compatible with 2 player via GPIO? thanks again.
  • See my github to see what emu i needed to patch to get them fully work with xinmo : https://github.com/ian57?tab=repositories. You can try to DL the executable of pifba and replace the piplay version by mine.

Some of users do that...
  • @MoodyL, as far as I know, most of the other emulators are compatible with xin-mo (at least I haven't had anyone telling me otherwise). I know for a fact that they all work with 2-player gpio, since that is primarily what I use.
  • The only problems I have had with Xin-Mo is getting start, coin, escape to work in mame4all and getting escape to work for various other emulators. ian57's kernel fixed most of my issues (other than the escape, which I find annoying).
    Any suggestions for the escape? I though about mapping one of the GPIO's to button...
  • yeah, you may want to just map a gpio button to esc. The problem is with the emulators. a handful of them will only accept keyboard keys for things like 'quit' and 'reset'.

or you could always grab a mini wireless keyboard and just velcro it somewhere inconspicuous.
  • im not having a great deal of luck. I have installed MAME4ALL and found a working rom, however after setting up the joystick from the piplay menu and launching the game the joystick and all buttons do not seem to work. is there a file which i can check to ensure all the mappings are correct? thanks
  • FIXED. i pressed all of the keys and came across a menu. once configured all controls working.....
  • @fattyphunt : with raspicade and xin-mo I use a combo to exit emulators. I modified sources of some emulators to do that, and configure a combo in retroarch. That works well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!