Controller setup menu not working in 0.8.0 Beta 8
  • I am running PiPlay 0.8.0 Beta 8 on a RPi 2. I am trying to configure a SteelSeries 3GC USB controller. I hit TAB and select "Controller Setup" from the PiPlay menu, but the setup just automatically assigns all of the buttons (incorrectly) and doesn't let me make any selections. Is it not working or am I missing something?
  • I have the same issue with a USB Sony PS3 controller on a old RPi B 512M
  • Same issue here with a generic usb mad catz controller.
  • hmm... I have it working fine with a 3rd party wired xbox controller, keyboard, and gpio buttons. Can you have it run through the genesis config and then either post it or email it to me? the output file is saved in /home/pi/.dgen/dgenrc

• The way that we have the controller config set up, it should only ever register 'hard' joystick movement and also only register buttons when they have been released to avoid false positives. so I'm really at a loss as to what is happening. The only thing that I can think is perhaps the new Kernel is wreaking some kind of havoc (I'm still on the old kernel)
  • OK. Just in case I reformatted my SD card and reinstalled 0.8.0 Beta 8 on my RPi 2. I tried to configure the controller for genesis and as soon as I selected it, PiPlay just instantly ran through all of the configurations as before without any input from me.

I then hit esc and ran startx to get to the desktop and I got this error in a pop-up/dgen: "GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.1.Error.Failed:Cannot determine user of subject" I don't know if this matters or not, it was my first time on the desktop.

Then I tried to get the file you specified. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but, I used the file explorer to go to /home/pi/.dgen/dgenrc and I received this error: "The specified directory'/home/pi/.dgen/dgenrc' is not valid". Not sure I did this correctly as it is my first time with RPi/linux. I tried the same without the dgenrc and got the same error.

PS-Keyboard and mouse are working fine.
  • I am also having it where the new kernel is making auto-pushes for some of the directional buttons on my controllers during the config. Is there a work-around? Thank you!
  • I've setup my Pi 2 twice and both times have gotten that GDBus error whenever I launch startx.
  • The problem I have with a fresh install is that it seems to register directional inputs as two actions - e.g. when I push left to configure left, it registers that, but then registers the move back to no movement as the action for the next movement to be configured.
  • You guys can try an update that I just posted to my repo. Right click on pmcontrollerconfig.py and then click 'Save link as...'. Then you need to copy it to your pi -> /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/
  • PiPlay was working fine. I overwrote the original pmcontrollerconfig.py file using an FTP. When I restarted my RPi I got this message:

File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmcontrollerconfig.py", line 4
    <!DOCTYPE html>

Syntax Error: Invalid syntax
    pi@raspberrypi "/pimame/pimame-menu $ have a nice day ;)

Now I can't even boot up PiPlay at all.
  • my bad. by doing it that way, it just saved the html page as pmcontrollerconfig.py. You need to go here then right click and click either 'save page as...' (firefox) or 'save as...' (chrome), then make sure that you save it as pmcontrollerconfig.py (chrome seems to want to add a .txt extension), then copy it over and you should be good.
  • The new pmcontrollerconfig.py script did fix the automatically configuring joypad button issue for me. In my case I then really had to mash the keypad buttons multiple times to get it to register and the config doesn't work in NES. However, those two issues could certainly be on my end. I'll play with it some more and report back, unless there is an easy answer out there?
  • Hey, I thought I commented yesterday but it's gone! Anyway, I applied the fix as suggested. Thanks mholgatem for all the help.

The good news: The configuration menu no longer runs through the button assignments automatically.

The bad news: The controller configuration menu locks up. Button pushes aren't registered either from my controller or the keyboard. Ctrl + Q won't quit, esc doesn't work, TAB-nothing, etc.

I know the controller is good because it works with SNES. I just can't configure it to work with anything else.
  • ARG! ok, I'm going to have to look into it some more. It runs through fine on my machine, so I think that there may be problems communicating with the new Kernel.

@spd118 - the controller config is set to look at the button-up event, so pressing harder shouldn't affect it. Unless you mean for the directionals? or is it maybe just taking a bit longer to register the button presses? What happens if you press a button and then just wait for a second or two?
  • Ahh, sorry, I should have been more clear. By 'mash' I meant that I have to hit the button multiple times. I reran the config and it does require multiple presses(2-8), not a delay (in my case). It does seem to have worked tho, I ran it for fceux and the config file has what looks to be valid values, pasted below. It doesn't work in the game yet though but that might be me, is there a utility that will show the controller keypresses in real time, for troubleshooting purposes?

SDL.Input.GamePad.0A = 0
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0B = 1
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0DeviceNum = 0
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Down = 274
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Left = 276
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Right = 275
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Select = 6
  • @spd118 - are you using the xbox control driver? because what you posted, I don't think will do anything. the down, left, and right are mapped to arrow keys. but A, B, and select aren't mapped to any real sdl value.

If you want to test, you can use this tool: https://github.com/dustyleary/tastiness/tree/master/fceux/getSDLKey

The installation instructions are listed under the files.
  • Your xbox control driver comment got me thinking. While I am only getting familiar with the design of your system I looked and the xboxdrv was not running despite having been switched on and rebooted. So I inserted 'sudo rmmod xpad' in the .profile and everything started working. The initial auto-assigning control pad issue was resolved and at least NES works properly with the the controller (except for b only, but ill play with that too). It looks like for some reason the xpad was never being removed and xboxdrv could not be inserted. Could be that I'm using a madcatz xbox360 licensed compatible controller but in any event, thanks.
  • well. one problem down... 99 left to go :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!