Piplay with GPIO
  • I already have 1 arcade setup and functional with PiMame and ADAFruits Retrogame for GPIO buttons. I am building a new one and wanting to try out piplay. Is there a better way to do GPIO buttons now? I built my last arcade over a year ago and I am sure things have changed since then. All I see in the forums are people talking about usb joysticks.

Thanks
    Bill
  • I did mine using a modified version of retrogame, same concept but for 2 players. I think USB is good for joysticks but if you want the retro arcade feel then the GPIO approach worked for me.
  • Do you need anything extra for PiPlay for the GPIO setup to work? Or just install Retrogame?

And why would you want a better way? Did the old way not work?
  • I wanted to know if there was a new way since I have tried retrogame with piplay and can't seem to get it working. I even copied my retrogame executable from my working pimame arcade and copied to piplay. I added it to rc.local and when I try to boot it never loads the piplay menu. So I was looking for a complete step by step on getting GPIO buttons and joystick working on Piplay. If someone can point me in the correct direction I would be more than happy to type up a complete how to guide once I get it working.
  • I use pikeyd, explained in this forum in another thread. It's simple, try it.
  • I just added my retrogame to rc.local with the & at the end. The first thing I would test is that retrogame is actually working: ps -ef | grep retrogame ... do you see the process running?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!