initial setup help
  • Hi, I've installed the latest beta, burned it to the SD card, and it started perfectly, even recognized my joystick. I installed mame through the options, and installed a ROM, scanned it in mame4all, and it recognized it. However, when I select it, the game did not run, and returned to the menu.

I then installed some roms to the other other mame emulator, and scanned, but upon rebooting the menu hangs in the load process... Tried rebooting several times, and it's forever hung.

what are the commands that I need to run manually to test the emulators and see the logs?

HELP!!!
  • I never could figure out the Mame roms myself either. I got the correct version roms and everything but no luck. All other emulators work no problem. I was hoping someone would do a complete guide on how to set it up, or if I eventually find the time to figure it all out I was gonna write something up.
  • Some games such as NeoGeo games (Metal Slug, Samurai Showdown, King of the Monsters, etc) require a neogeo.zip bios. Some other roms require a files in other Roms. There might be 2 of 3 games of the same name, but different file names and one might be have all the main base files for all variations of that game. Then there are a few roms that don't require anything at all.

More often than not if a game won't load its because its from the wrong mame set. Some files inside those rom zips get completely renamed over the course of time for MAME. The zip might be named right, but the bin's inside are not. For Mame4All-Pi and PiMame, there are clrmame files to scan and fix your roms. You will most likely have to do that and keep a separate set for each emulator. Both programs use older rom sets.
  • Thanks, I ended up using retropie which I believe uses mame4all - and the same (old arcade) roms work there, so I guess I'll try the next beta
  • now if I can only get my USB generic N64 controlers to work...
  • I like AdvanceMame better in PiPlay, but I noticed some games do indeed not run on this, while they do run on Mame-OSX, so the different emulators require different ROM sets indeed ;-)

What I can't seem to get to work is starting AdvanceMame in vertical mode. I read somewhere here that it is better to NOT rotate Raspbian itself, but to use the rotation method of AdvanceMame. That works: games start rotated after I changed the advmame.rc file, but i still need to rotate AdvanceMame itself with 0 on the numpad every time I start up the Pi and that is going to be difficult once my Pi ends up in a cabinet ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!