Rotating Monitor and Full Screen
  • I have edited my Raspberry to boot with a display_rotation=3 and turned my monitor vertical. This is working great but I have a few questions about getting PiMAME and MAME roms to use the full screen with less black barring.

First, when run in vertical using AdvanceMAME doesn't use the full monitor real estate. Is there any setting to get AdvanceMAME when launched from PiMAME to go full vertical?

Second, MAME roms are also not using the full real estate of the monitor. They are centered vertical and horizonal with black bars all the way around the game. I have tried to use the MAME Tab option to see if there was a video option for each game to change this but no luck.

Thank for the help.
  • Looking for the same answer. Specifically in ADVMAME.
  • I believe ADVMAME has settings within each came to adjust this. Press "tab" while running the individual game.

There is no way to do this individually with MAME4All
  • I think there are two ways to get vertical to work:

1. change boot settings for your Pi
    Change the config.txt file so your Pi will boot vertically. For me this didn't work out that great because AdvanceMame and all the games started up in this really small vertical part of the screen, not using the whole screen. This seems to be the problem you experience?

2. change settings of AdvanceMame to vertical
    The Pi still boots normally in horizontal mode, but as soon as the games start, they use the full monitor in vertical mode. This works perfectly for the games: they are mostly all in full screen mode and the few that have bars, I can change manually. But I only have it working in AdMame. I still haven't figured out how to start up AdvanceMame in vertical mode, I need to put it in vertical mode manually for now (using 0 on numpad).

To do this, you need to edit the settings file for AdvMame:

sudo nano .advance/advmame.rc

Then change one of these lines:

display_rol no
    display_ror yes

"rol" = rotate left, "ror" = rotate right

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!