Using 4 arcade stick USB controllers with PiPlay
  • I wanted to get a Raspberry Pi and setup PiPlay to have my kids try out the great arcade games from the '90s that don't exist anymore. My technical know-how is limited so I was going to get 4 USB Arcade style controllers (joystick and 6-8 buttons), similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Universal-Arcade-Fighting-Playstation-3/dp/B0015PHMFU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1422680027&sr=1-1&keywords=arcade+stick+usb

Will the PiPlay software work with 4 USB controllers if Arcade game MAME ROM I'm running is 4 players? Is it easy to configure? When I started thinking about doing a MAME project, it was like a sign from the Tech Gods when Raspberry PI released the Model B+ and now the Raspberry Pi 2, both with 4 USB ports.
  • Mame4All-Pi does support setting up controls for 4 players.
  • Does using those USB controllers make setting it up easy?
  • it's pretty easy with *most controllers. There is a controller configuration script that you run, it will ask you to press up, down, left, right, and any other buttons that correspond to that emulator.

*we do our best, but there are so many controller configurations, that sometimes a controller has to be configured manually (it's just editing a text file)
  • I'm excited to give it a try....Raspberry Pi looks like a lot of fun to program.

Is PiPlay the same thing as Mame4All-Pi?

I've been looking at discussions in the forum and it seems like the PiPlay software has limitations with which ROMs it can play. I wanted to use it for those 90's arcade games likes Captain Commando, The Simpsons Arcade, or X-Men: The Arcade. I'll type in the name of the arcade game in Google and suffix it with "MAME". Most of them I've downloaded from coolRom.com. Are they going to work? What's all the discussion about 0.37b5 or 0.106 ROMs?
  • PiPlay is the OS/Emulator Frontend you download from this site. It is used to launch all the emulators.

Mame4All-Pi is one of the emulators included. It uses the Mame 0.37b5 romset.

Not every rom works in Mame4All no. I can tell you Sunset Riders and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Turtles in Time do run. I have not tried the other 4-Player games you listed yet.
  • What other MAME emulators can be launched from PiPlay?

How do I find out if a MAME is 0.37b5 romset or 0.106? Do the other MAME emulators play 0.106?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!