Rom list navigation
  • Hi everyone,

I notice when you exit a game in AdvanceMAME and MAME4All and go back to the rom list that the first entry is always highlighted (usually the back button). Is there a way to change this so that it highlights the last game played? This would be really convenient with a large list of roms.

Also are there any other ways to navigate the rom list? I noticed that hitting the tab key lets you jump alphabetically and hitting left and right does page up/down, but it would also be nice to be able to sort by genre or manufacturer.
  • @loosegoose - I am currently building a giant database that contains all of the game info. With that, we will be able to sort by title, publisher, manufacturer, release date, number of players, co-op, rating, and esrb. You will also be able to filter the results by 1 of 25 different genres. Here's an early sneak-peek.

I thought about adding the code so that it jumps back to the last run game, but I wasn't quite sure why anyone would want to be on the same game that they just quit.
  • Wow, that looks great! I love the game descriptions too!

As for why anyone would want to be on the same game they just quit, it's helpful when there are games with a lot of different versions or revisions and you want to see the differences between them or can't remember your favorite. The Street Fighter games are a good example.
  • ahh... gotcha. yeah, I think it wouldn't be too hard to add that. I'll look into it.
  • Does the new interface allow you to just list roms w/o having them grouped by emulator? I implemented this in my own hack but would love to get back to using the "official" code.

Also, any support for favorites or most played type lists?
  • @fsa317
    PiPLAY currently doesn't support listing roms without grouping them by emulator. On the other hand, favourites will be implemented soon (hopefully)
  • I just got the code implemented so that you can now flag specific roms as 'favorites'. now I just need to build a place for them to be listed.
  • Niiice i can't wait for the favorites update. I am new to Piplay and just starting to tweak it to my liking. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the emulators i don't use from the list!!!! haha
  • if you want to hide any items, you can edit /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/config.yaml. just change the 'visible' property for each item.
  • Oh, this will be SO helpful. A favorites list is definitely in order to make the navigation more efficient. Glad to see things are still being actively developed!
  • What if instead of a favorites menu you had a key that you could press to highlight the next game flagged as a favorite? Similar to pressing right to scroll Roms lists quicker.
  • @gamerdad09 - it would take a fair amount of programming to do that. so I went ahead and added a 'favorites first' filter. So you can go to your emulator, then set 'favorites first' and all the favorites will be brought to the top.

In addition, there is also the favorites section, that lists all favorites from all systems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!