32" HDTV - larger resolution
  • Hi - I'm just getting started with building my own arcade and am wondering about the screen size of the ROM's. I've got a few ROM's installed and they successfully start up. What I have not found yet though is how to increase the size of the game. From what I read I may be able to stretch it, but have not found how to do it yet. Can someone point me to a link, or let me know where to change some configurations.

I am using AdvMAME, PiPlay and a Hisense 32" HDTV with an HDMI cable. Pretty sure I'll need to provide more information, so please let me know how I can help you help me.

Thanks

Mike
  • With AdvanceMame Press TAB to enter the menu. Select video and from there you can change with 'mode' the resolution and with 'magnify' you can increace the size.
    It's possible that you don't see 'magnify'. Set 'mode' to auto to use 'magnify'.
  • Oh great. I had not known that. I will check it out. Thanks so much
  • Ok - so was able to find the menu within any one of the AdvMame games by hitting the tab key. I tried both Galaga and Ms. Pacman. Updating the Mode to Auto and then changing Magnify to 2 cleared the image up nicely. But, it still stays small. When I went into Mode again I tried quite a few (there seems to be 40+ configurations). What am I missing? Am I wrong that the game should fill most of the screen, if not all of it? Is there something in a config file? Does it have to do with the HDMI cable?

Thanks in advance

Mike
  • on my hdtv I had to change some settings on the tv itself in order to get it to fill the screen completely. Most notably, in my 'size' options, there was one setting called 1:1, that made everything nearly fill the screen.
  • Any other thoughts? I appreciate the responses so far, but going into a game, hitting the tab key and going to the video menu has not produced a solution. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

To recap:
    - The PiPlay menu is full screen (the PiPlay splash screen actually only shows half of the picture)
    - I have the ROMs loaded under the AdvMame menu
    - When I escape and type startx, that also shows a full screen and it is very clear.

Any other config files I can check?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to everyone.

Mike
  • Still no solution?
    So the Advancemenu is full screen?
    I've had also some problems on my 16:9 widescreen monitor (23inch). The aspect ratio wasn't working for me. But when it tried the same roms on my cabinet with a 4:3 screen and rotated to vertical mode, it worked much better. Maybe the problem lies in the horizontal or vertical aspect of the game. Ms. Pacman and Galaga are both vertical games. So for better results you have to switch your screen to vertical mode.

You can do this by edit your config.txt file
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    and add the following code;
    display_rotate=1

Reboot your Raspberry and your screen is rotated to vertical mode. Try Ms. Pacman and look if there are better results now. Maybe the width is now oke, but the height isn't. That's because you (maybe) have a 16:9 screen ratio.

Some roms 'stretch up' better than others. But you also lose sometimes the correct ratio. You can also try Ms. Pacman with Mame4all and see if it has better results.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!