Audio Issues in vertical mode
  • Seems like there are a never ending array of problems I am running into in trying to build a cocktail machine with a vertical screen orientation. When I run a MAME game without a rotated screen, all works fine. However, when I set the config.txt to rotate the screen 90 degrees, the sound in the games starts missing and sputtering. I've split the memory 256/256 and running in turbo at 1,000 MHz. Video looks good but the audio isn't. Any suggestions on what to try?
  • Same problem here. i've tested with Mame4all and the games in vertical mode seem to have audio issues. When i switch the screen to horizontal mode, the audio on the same game is fine.

Tested it also with Advancemame and vertical mode and it sounded good.
    My machine runs on the 0.7.10 version. I have tryed different memory splits, and overclock settings. No results. The problem seems to be with Mame4all...
  • At least I'm not the only one having this issue!. I confirmed today that I have the same issue whether the audio comes out of the 3.5mm jack or HDMI. My last ditch effort to fix this is a USB Sound Card I just ordered.

Interesting that you aren't seeing the issue with Advancemame. I haven't used Advancemame because I heard it doesn't run as well as Mame4All. Plus I have the 37b5 ROM set for Mame4All and I can't find the ROM set anywhere for Advancemame.

If I can't get this issue resolved soon, I am going to give up on the Pi for my mini-cocktail cabinet build and just use a 60 in 1 board. It's disappointing, but it just doesn't seem like I can get this to work at an acceptable level.

If the USB Sound Card makes a difference I'll post the outcome.
  • Today i've tested some settings and the results are a bit better.
    First i've changed the sample rate from 441000 to 22050 with Mame4All. Didn't notice any quality loss. Better performance? Not really.... I'ts hard to say when you hear the 80' bleeps and blops ;)

After that i put my money on the graphics side. I've changed the resolution to 640x480 60Mhz. And set the display rotating back to horizontal.
    Made the change in /boot/config.txt
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=4
    display_rotate=0

The idea behind this is to rotate the games by Mame4all. Because we both noticed that the problem started with rotating on boot level.
    So to do this, you'll have to change the setting ror=yes (mame.cfg)
    I've also set the following settings to 'no'.
    antialias=no
    translucency=no
    display_smooth_stretch=no

But there is 1 big problem. Mame4All does rotate the games, but not the menu it self.
    So you'll have to use the AdvanceMenu as frontend. I'ts slower then Mame4all as Frontend... But it's worth to try.

To rotate AdvanceMenu to vertical, set display_orientation flip_xy mirror_x (advmenu.rc)

To add Mame4all to the AdvanceMenu (advmenu.rc);

emulator "PiMAME4ALL" generic "/home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame" "%s"
    emulator_roms "PiMAME4ALL" "/home/pi/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms"
    emulator_altss "PiMAME4ALL" "/home/pi/.advance/snap" (make use of the snaps provided with AdvanceMenu)
    emulator_include "PiMAME4ALL"
    emulator_attrib "PiMAME4ALL" missing exclude

I also made sure that my Pi runs at the preferred overclock;
    arm_freq=900
    core_freq=300
    sdram_freq=500

At the end, some roms have better sound. But it's not perfect. I also think that to problem lies within the roms it self. I've noticed that Ms.Pacman with rom version 1.49 on my PC has a far better sound... But running more updated roms with Mame4all is a no-go...

Let me know what the outcome is with the USB sound card
  • You are certainly more advanced than me at this! It'll take me a while to digest all that and I may need some hand holding if I go that route.

As another experiment, I tried running vertical with RetroPie (which as far as I know uses MAME4ALL as it's MAME Emulator). I had no audio issues at all when it was in vertical mode. The problem is RetroPie's ROM selector menu is a mess in vertical mode and I generally like PiPlay better.

I feel like I am so close with all of this, but always one issue away.

USB sound card will arrive in a few days, but it may take me a week to get a chance to configure it and get it running, but I'll post the outcome one way or another.
  • I have a spare SDcard with RetroPie on it. Never tested it with my speakers hooked up, so i just did :)

Used the same roms as i used on Pimame 0.7.10 version and left everything, except for display rotating from /boot/config.txt to vertical, at default. And the issues with the sound are the same as with the default settings from my Pimame image.
    The settings as described above seems to have better results.

if you want, i can spit out the complete settings for the 3 files. If it's possible i could also share the image from my current SDcard so you can try it for yourself. Only problem is how to share a 4gig file :)
  • Sure, if you can give me the 3 files, I'll take them and try them out. Not sure how to share the whole image, but let me think about how to do that.
  • I'm still searching for a solution. But i think that the problem lies within the roms or Mame4all/AdvanceMame. Today i'm trying some settings with the alsa-driver. The weather forecast for today, in the Netherlands, isn't that great. So i stay mostly inside and try to find a solution...
  • You can give a try to my distro and see if you have the same problem with it. 1942 is running well in cocktail mode : https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspicade/
  • I will give it a try today on a spare SDcard.
    For now it seems to be the problem with Mame4all. I have tested my short list of games for my Bartop with AdvanceMame and the games that did work had better audio. The games that didn't work with rom version 0.37b5, i replaced with rom version 1.49. I also tryed some bootlegs and other clone versions. Now i have a mix of mostly games running with AdvanceMame, except for 5 roms that didn't work, but did work with Mame4all.

For now, my machine runs with AdvanceMenu and a mix of AdvanceMame and Mame4all. There is still a problem with audio from AdvanceMenu. So for now i've turned audio for the menu off...
  • After an unbelievable number or problems, I finally got the USB Sound Card to work and not crash MAME4All. The amazing news is that the USB Sound Card fixes the audio issues I was having in vertical mode! Now the sound is great. Getting the USB Sound Card to work was a real pain, but I posted the solution in another post regarding just that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!