Boot straight to MAME?
  • Hello! I am building my dad a portable arcade with a Pi inside of an NES Advantage, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get PiPlay to boot straight to MAME. My dad will only want to play a few select arcade games and won't have any use for the other emulators.

Any ideas on how I can configure PiPlay to boot straight to MAME?
  • Yes I am trying to do the same thing...
  • I think you should launch mame from .profile file insread of the piplay frontend.
  • If its not to much trouble could you provide an example of what it should look like? I am not a linux guru.
  • Thanks, I will give that a shot!

Also, I found out the hard way that an NES Advantage will not safely fit a Pi. Luckily I have a Mayflash Universal arcade stick, so I'll just put the Pi into that.
  • Can anyone provide an explanation of how to run a mame game from the frontend? I know it is in the config.yaml but im just not sure how to get it working properly. I have been trying to make something based off the Cave Story game item.
    I am using mame4all
    -lable: GAME TITLE
    visible: Yes
    full_path:no
    command: ???
    type: GAME
  • Suggestion:
    You might prefer to use advmenu for this. It was included in PiMAME before 0.8 when it became PiPLAY.
    Advmenu is a pretty decent frontend, and might be better for what you need. Its designed for advmame but works with any emulator. It will automatically find all your games and stuff.

If you still want to use PiPLAY frontend, use this template

-label: GAMENAMEHERE
    visible: yes
    full_path: no
    command: /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all/GAMENAMEHERE
    type: GAME
  • It is NOT in the FAQ any longer. Many things, including the filesystem layout, have been modified to some extent. It is an example of how to in PiMAME but not in PiPlay.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!