Single player cabinet, used for The Simpsons
  • I'm trying to build a tiny (novelty size, I suppose) cabinet. The screen's only big enough for 1 player.
    I have a controller and buttons for one player.

I want to be able to play several games, along with The Simpsons

This game has 4 characters, one for each player slot.
    With a typical configuration I'm only able to play as the first player, Marge.
    I will be connecting the hardware to the Pi and using some keyboard emulation software.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can configure PiPlay or the emulator Mame4All to allow this?
    My thoughts:
    1. A 4-way rotary switch and some kind of script, which reconfigures the keyboard emulator's config file for a different player. Might have to happen on reboot..
    2. 4 copies of the emulator in separate directories, with different config files in each. Just choose P1/P2/P3/P4 version. Kinda clunky, especially that the player has to know to pick the P1 emulator for all other games.

Do either of these seem plausible? Is there a better alternative?
    I feel like this is already a solved problem and I must have missed something.
    Thanks!
  • First, please don't post links to any roms or websites that host roms.

Second, there is a two player version of that game that allows you to choose your character. No reason to re-invent the wheel, right? :D
  • Like mholgatem said look for the two player version of The Simpsons. I had the same issue with my two player cabinet. You will need to go to the configure menu while at the Piplay home screen (hit the TAB button) and set "Scan for clones" to TRUE.

There are also two player versions of the TMNT games and other Konomi 4 player games out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!