ROM Newbie
  • Hi I'm pretty new to the emulator/ROM area but excited to test out PiPLAY. Before I dive head first I wanted to understand something. When looking for ROMs how do I know which I should be looking for? From what I gathered people recommend using MAME4ALL but I cant tell if I can use any MAME rom or do I need specific ones to work with MAME4ALL. Given that some of the posts are about a year old I wanted to better understand what ROMs will and won't work with PiPlay in the latest builds. Thanks!

• mame4all uses 0.37b5 - advancemame uses 0.106. As far as I know, nothing else requires a specific romset.
  • So as I understand your comment, other emulation for lets say NES doesn't require any specific romset - meaning a rom for NES should work without having to be specific for the emulator used by PiPlay?
  • So I'm up and running, all things MAME continue to frustrate me. I got the 0.37b5 romset. However a number of roms dont work. It seems like many of them that dont work are complaining about neo-geo.rom . I then tried to download a direct neo geo rom and that didnt work either, just a black screen. Any tips?
  • it's asking for the neo-geo bios. you just need to download the neogeo bios, and include it in your rom folder. Mame will do the rest.
  • so i have neogeo.zip in my roms/mame4all directory, doesn't seem to make a difference. However the same file in the neogeo directory did help fix a few roms for me. In general if the same rom is available for mame vs. platform specific emulator which is better?

Another weird thing Ive noticed a few final burn alpha CPS2 games where I need to install both the Euro and US version of the rom, the US then works and the Euro gives an error but if I remove the Euro it doesn't work. Does this make any sense?
  • I am having the same problem where do I place the neogeo bios and in what format is it in zip or do i unzip? It is looking for neo-geo.rom file among others.
  • it needs to be zipped and located where your roms are. make sure that it is named appropriately for what mame4all is looking for.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!