Rotation
  • Ok, so I read how to rotate my game screen for vertical games but how do I rotate the splash screen and menu? I'm sorry to keep bugging everyone but if there is some type of manual I would gladly comb through it, I'm not lazy like that
  • Don't worry about it, that is what the forum is for. Are you saying that you want to rotate your screen for everything? That is done in the /boot/config.txt file. type:
    sudo nano /boot/config.txt

then you need to add a line at the end that reads ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    display_rotate=0        Normal
    display_rotate=1 90 degrees
    display_rotate=2 180 degrees
    display_rotate=3 270 degrees
    display_rotate=0x10000 horizontal flip
    display_rotate=0x20000 vertical flip
  • Is it possible to do this from the gui? I am learning here remember.lol
    Currently I am in the gui, went to file manager, found /boot. Then opened that folder and found config.txt. And thats as far as I can get. How do I open it? If I dbl click it asks me if I want to execute. I do but nothing seems to happen.
  • from the gui, double click on lxterminal. then run the command sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Find the line you need to edit with the arrow keys. When you are done, press ctrl-x, then press Y to exit and save.
  • Whoo Hooo...Got It!!!!!!!!! Thank you once again!!!!!!!!!
  • Whats funny is these small accomplishments seem super huge to me. lol I feel like having a party..lol
  • I swear...once I have this all set up, I will put a youtube video on my channel with a step by step of what I did with all your help. And more help to come.lol

Thanks again
  • @Wooodyii2
    That would make a good tutorial to go on the 'Tutorials' page at the PiPlay website :D
    Thanks
  • This worked great for me. It should probably be put in the FAQ, since the FAQ only gives info on rotating some of the front ends and not the new menu like this does.
  • Hi,

When I set display_rotate=3 the fps for MAME4ALL ROMs drops from 60 to 15!! ANyone else got this problem or a solution please?

Thanks,
    TT
  • @TonkaTuff - you need to up your gpu memory split in raspi-config. Direct quote from 'elinux.org/RPiconfig':
    Note: the 90 and 270 degrees rotation options require additional memory on GPU, so won't work with the 16M GPU split.
  • @sadeter @mholgatem I've updated the FAQ to make it easier to read and added this rotation to it. Thanks :D
  • Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. I upped the GPU Mem to 256 last night and still only got 15-20 fps.

Conno: Which FAQ topic did you update please?

Cheers,
    TT
  • @TonkaTuff - Are you running piplay inside of the X window system? or from command line?
  • Thanks for the help.
    I've got a RPi B+
    Running PiPlay 8 Beta 7 from image
    I've tried setting overclocking to max and GPU_Mem to 448MB
    448 makes the RPi unusable, so went back to 384. Still no joy with FPS. Got 20 max out of it.
    Any other suggestions?
  • it may just be too much. My only other suggestion would be for you to try to edit the mame.cfg file (/home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame.cfg).

try setting:
    antialias=no
    translucency=no
    display_smooth_stretch=no
  • Thanks, will give it a go.
  • Is it possible to use one of the GPIO to execute these commands to rotate on command?
  • @clocey - Anything can be done. I think that it would require a reboot each time and probably some black magic. But I could be wrong.
  • Rotating during runtime can only bee done using Xorg and the xrand program -> but it uses resources and the emulation will not be as quick as standard mode.
  • I'm working on a vertical cocktail project and also needing to rotate the screen. Things were really running poorly when I rotated, but then I increased the GPU Mem to 256 and overclocked it to 900. Seemed to run better.
    How can you tell what your actual frame rate is?
  • See here with mame4all : http://youtu.be/QhclxTZ7nfk

I think its 60fps. Everything is fluid...
  • @atv223 - I would overclock to 'Turbo' using raspi-config (1000 Mhz). Also make sure that you are running piplay on startup, not from a terminal window.
  • Yep, running PiPlay on startup and I used the config.txt file to rotate the screen. I'll try bumping the overclock up, just didn't want to burn out my Pi!

Is there a way to actually determine what frame rate the system is running at?
  • I believe that mame4all has a way to display framerate (somewhere in settings) but I could be wrong. it's been a long time since I messed with it. Make sure you use raspi-config to set your overclock settings and you should be fine. If you do it through your boot/config.txt file, you run the chance of putting the wrong setting in and burning something up. (also, the raspi-config overclock settings won't set the sticky-bit and void your warranty)
  • I am also having the same issues as TonkaTuff. I have tried what has already been suggested with absolutely no luck. Is this a hardware limitation? I have finished my build of my cabinet and was happy as larry and then BOOM! super dissapointed. Any more suggestions as to how this can be possibly resolved?? I did NOT however try Xorg and xrand program. I am using the piplay settup and running my games through mame4all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!