beta6 and nes isn't still working
  • Hi Shea and mholgatem,

it seems that a few people here in the forum cannot launch any nes game. We talked about in a few threads. Do you already have some news how to solve that strange behaviour while launching nes games?

Thanks in advance
    Redwing
  • do you get an error or something?
  • blank screen (same as described in beta 5)
  • same error with pi b+ and b.
    same on different sd cards.
    same with fresh and clean piplay install (without any modifications).
  • try editing your /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/config.yaml file. Change the nes 'command' to this

command: /home/pi/pimame/emulators/fceux/fceux -soundq 0
  • Let me know if that works. NES has been working fine for me, and I can't get it to error out like this.
  • Hey mholgatem,
    I have that same problem with nes and that change to the command line didn't seem to help. After trying to load a rom it boots back to the rom list for just a second before the screen blacks out. If I escape out the main menu shows again for a sec before it blacks again. I can then blindly navigate to shutdown or restart but if I exit to command line the keyboard locks up. The cursor blinks on key press but no character is written and the cursor doesn't move. My only option from there, it seems, is to kill the power. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • @ChrisW - Are you running piplay from inside of the 'X' os or is it command line? Also, what kind of setup do you have going (hdmi, joysticks, gpio, etc)
  • @mholgatem you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I am still new to this but I'm not sure exactly. I just boot piplay to the main menu, select a nes rom and the result I described occurs. In beta 5 I had the same problem but was able to exit and run startx to fix the problem. That same fix doesn't seem to work in beta 6. I've also tried with 2 SD cards with the same result.

Raspberry pi B+, 16 or 32 GB micro SD class 10
    19" LCD monitor with HDMI/VGA adapter
    Xarcade duel stick
    Standard USB keyboard/mouse and computer speakers.
  • @ChrisW, are you running NTSC or PAL roms?
  • @mholgatem I honestly don't know, nor do I know how to tell the difference. I have two separate nes romsets. Neither seem to work currently. What should I have?
  • @mholgatem
    OK, I have one romset labeled U.S. so I guess I'll assume that is NTSC. Same usual problem with those. I grabbed a few files from theoldcomputer and loaded those and got this error:

FDS BIOS ROM image missing: /home/pi/.fceux/disksys.rom
    an error occurred while loading the file.

I am, again, not sure which one those are but that file boots back to romlist without the black screen problem of the other roms. Still can't get them working either way though.
  • I'm having the same problem as well
  • ChrisW and I have been working on fixing the problem. We found that when he went straight hdmi (no vga converter) to a tv, then it worked no problem. We are now trying different solutions (via changing resolution) to try and fix the problem.
  • I will continue testing other settings but if anyone successfully gets NES working while using a HDMI to VGA adapter please post your hardware and settings here.
  • I believe we have a fix, at least for my setup. I'm using a powered HDMI to VGI cable to a 5:4 monitor with a max res of 1280 x 1024. Remove both hash marks from "force counsel size" to force a 720 resolution as well as removing # from hdmi_force_hotplug, hdmi_group and hdmi_mode. Group should be 1 mode should be 16. This will give you black bars on top and bottom of menu but roms will play full screen. My config.txt is copied below. Thanks to @mholgatem for all his work on this. I hope this helps everyone out.

# For more options and information see
    # http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
    # and your display can output without overscan
    #disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
    # goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
    #overscan_left=16
    #overscan_right=16
    #overscan_top=16
    #overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
    # overscan.
    framebuffer_width=1280
    framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
    # DMT (computer monitor) modes
    #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
    # no display
    #config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    arm_freq=900

start_x=1
    gpu_mem=256
    core_freq=250
    sdram_freq=450
    over_voltage=2

If anyone finds better settings I would love to know them, but for now this works.
  • Hi@all,

I have that same problem with nes and that change to the command line didn't seem to help. After trying to load a rom it boots back to the rom list for just a second before the screen blacks out. If I escape out the main menu shows again for a sec before it blacks again. I can then blindly navigate to shutdown or restart but if I exit to command line the keyboard locks up. The cursor blinks on key press but no character is written and the cursor doesn't move. My only option from there, it seems, is to kill the power....

@ChrisW: the copy of your config.txt doesnt help...

For Stella i have the same Problems... gfx disortion or black Screen :-(

i use a hdmi to vga adapter

Hope you can fix it ?

Thanks in advance

• you will need to play around with framebuffer_widtd/framebuffer_height settings to find some that work for you. also, if you are using an hdmi to vga adapter, it needs to be a powered adapter (the power should be coming from somewhere other than your pi).
  • Btw, the exit emulator nes button on beta 7 doesnt work for me. Anyone else Problems on that ?

• Hi@all,

i got it fixed :-) Thank you for pointing me how to change the configuration.

My card writer has had damn problems to store changes :-(

I post my config.txt here now for making maybe someone else happy.

Its for a 256mb Pi:

# For more options and information see
    # http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
    # and your display can output without overscan
    #disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
    # goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
    #overscan_left=16
    #overscan_right=16
    #overscan_top=16
    #overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
    # overscan.
    framebuffer_width=1280
    framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=28

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
    # DMT (computer monitor) modes
    #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
    # no display
    #config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    arm_freq=900

start_x=1
    gpu_mem=128
    core_freq=250
    sdram_freq=450
    over_voltage=2

Kind regards

• @pupsihh - Glad it's working for you!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!