Mapping xin-mo arcade buttons to exit to pimame menu.
  • Hi all

Does anybody know how to or have a link to a tutorial how to map two buttons on a xin-mo controller to exit to the pimame main menu. I would like to map the buttons so that when I press, lets say player 1 start and coin button together the whole system will exit back to the pimame main menu. I would like this to happen even if the emulator has gone out to command line as well. Hope someone can help. Many thanks in advance.
  • Hello Werner!

I think you can try with physical cabling. If you wire the buttons you want to use in serial to the [esc]-key. But remember, that the emulator will recognize both buttons as pressed, too and will react to that!!
    This will work only for exiting from out of the game. It won't start the menu from the command line when the emulator chrashed or something.

Regards, Mathes

Pin1 for ESC -------[button1]----[button2]----- Pin2 for ESC
    ==> Only when both buttons are pressed, emulator will recognize [esc]. Sure the buttons should still be wired to their "real" keys ;-)
  • Raspicade does that for each supported emu. It's simple with mame4all, just tell him to do so in the config menu (Tab key during a game).

for gngeo, a button can give you access to the main menu. But in raspicade I added the combo startP1 +coin to emulate escape in source code.

For Pifba and pisnes, "start"+"select" exit the emulator too

• Thanks so much guys, I am a bit of a noob, thanks ian57 for the details. Mathes75, what file do i need to edit to do the commands for pin1 like you explained?
  • I can add a multipress option to the menu. I had already worked in a keyboard version, that we just never ended up using.
  • That would be amazing. I just think there are a lot of guys who are building picades at the moment with multiple emulators and it would be amazing to have a standard exit combination to return to the main menu.
  • yeah, I'm "working" on it right now. The quotes are because I was working on it and got distracted optimizing (it should be done by tonight though)
  • As always mholgatem we appreciate your hard work and dedication to the project. Keep up the good work
  • Yeah.... With Xin MO pp Beta 5 I tried mapping Duel button exit but with P1 Start and P2 start but when I hit P2 to start a 2 player game it exits.... Also when a game is over it restarts instead of going to the Free play menu. Unless we start game using the keyboard, then it will go to the free play menu any thoughts
  • I think I didn't recognise the usage of a Xin Mo in the right way. Is it an Joystic/Controller chip that is used to build a Joystick, or is it a modified keyboard controller, that emulates the keys pressed?
    If it is recognised as Joystick/Controller - forget my suggestions as the [ESC] key is not available on the Xin Mo ;) Sorry!
  • @mholgatem

I am running the latest version of pimame/piplay. In the main menu there is an option to map the controller keys/buttons. This is awesome. I have allocated a button for each controller to exit the program. However, when i press the button this does not work for any of the emulators. Any advice?
  • in the main menu, there is only controller setup for the emulators, not piplay itself. You need to edit /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/controller.yaml in order to change those settings
  • Thanks alot, i have messed around with the individual emulators but I only have trouble with the NES emulator exiting as the exit program button and escape on my keyboard wont allow me to exit the emulator?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!