0.8b5 NES emulation don't work properly
  • Hi,
    in 0.8b5 I am not able to run any NES games like Super Mario Bros or others. I simply get a blank screen. Then after about 10 sec's the pimame-menue screen turns back for a moment and again I get a black (blank) screen. If I turn to console with Strg+Alt+Backsp then my keyboard isn't accessible anymore. I have to turn off and on again the raspi....

The ROM is ok, scraped as the correct game.

Strange?!?
  • The rom scraper only checks the name, it doesn't check the CRC value of the game. I would recommend getting a different copy of the game. NES is my favorite and I have been able to run just about everything that I have thrown at it.
  • Hmm, thanks for this information. I will try several other roms later.
  • i too have this exact same problem. none of my roms work. they did before. but not now. let me know if you figure anything out redwing.
  • try copying this into your /home/pi/.fceux/

let me know if that works.
  • nope. still same.
  • The roms run fine for me but keyboard and controller do not function for play. It does read key commands on keyboard for save state game genie codes etc
  • @mholgatem: maybe you have a modified dev version of 0.8b5? If you have an empty sdcard try to flash the official release and retry. I have tried it on 2 different raspis (B / B+) with picade and traditional mouse/keyb/hdmi monitor. On both the same result. It doesn't work....

@the_rest_of_the_piplayers: does someone tried nes with a newly installed 0.8b5? Does it really run?

thanks in advance!
  • @redwing1978 - That's what I am running right now is the official release.

try editing /home/pi/.fceux/fceux.cfg.

Find the area that reads:
    SDL.YResolution
    - and -
    SDL.XResolution
    and set them both to 0
  • also, check the permissions of /home/pi/pimame/emulators/fceux/fceux and make sure that they are at 775
  • @mholgatem - after setting the sdl.yresolution and sdl.xresolution to 0, i now get a "segmentation fault" and it quits back to piplay. permissions are set to 775 as well.
  • @tearexairz - hmm... according to documentation, that should be equivalent to 'auto'. have you tried setting them to your actual resolution settings?
  • Hi,

It seems we are looking at the same problems in this thread: http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/1251/nes-rom-manager-issue#Item_6

Note we get it to work when starting x but if we try to run the game straight after boot the results will be black screen,
  • @mholgatem i did. get the same results....

i did the work around like mentioned in the other thread and it works!!!! but its lame to have to esc out and startx then play. maybe these findings can narrow down the problem.....
  • I'm guessing that something is not getting initialized properly for some reason. After running X, something is becoming available that is needed to run fceux. my question is why is it just for some people and not everyone?
  • Indeed, and the most interesting fact is: we all use the same hardware.... :)
    So what are the differences between us and you (supposed that we all are using the same os-image):

- System configuration (which is not made in my case)
    - Raspian updates / upgrades
    - HDMI / Line-out settings
    - Micro-SD r/w speed or size
    - CPU overclocking
    - "Strange" USB Devices
    _ ???
  • add using update piplay on beta 4 (I noticed an edit I made in one of the py files got flagged as a diff and broke the script. not this though)
  • Hello,
    I have exactly the same problem. I've tried different ROM. When I run the game,
    for less than a second, there is this on the screen:

Starting FCEUX 2.2.1
    "File path"

PRG ROM: 2x 16kib
    CHR ROM: 4x 8kib
    ROM CRC32: xxxx
    ROM MD5: xxxx
    Mapper #: 1
    Mapper name: MMC1
    Mirroring: Horizontal
    Battery-backed: No
    Trained: No

Power On

Then, all the parameters vanishes.
    Starting FCEUX turn into Yellow and the file path into red for less than a second and all my screen turn into black.
    Piplay crash but my raspberry answers to ssh/ftp connection.
    (I have the last version of PIPLAY 0.8 beta5)

Hope that could help to solve this...

• I've basically given up as I don't have more to troubleshoot with, both hardware and wits :) Did the images ever change for the latest beta? I see Shea updated his blog 08.08 about the beta release and the date on sourceforge is 10.08 for the file. If the images changed during these two days, maybe I could try the one from 08.08 from someone who has a working NES emulator? However this is somewhat far fetched as I already tried the earlier beta with the same result.
  • they changed the emulator from advmess to fceux in 8.4... advmess worked fine for me. is there anyway i can reinstall it? im building a cabinet and it wont have a keyboard, so this is kinda killing it for me.
  • I'm looking into this more.
  • Hi Shea, thank you.
    regarding to tearexairz question, you can downgrade by just getting an older image from sourceforge. But running a cabinet I'd probably just leave out NES (unless fceux is working) as the sound is rather bad.
  • Hi,

I was asking myself why in my Fceux emulator directory has one single file without any extension...
    Is it a mistake of mine?

Thanks a lot for your great job ;-) In particular for Shea ;-)
  • Same problem as Guts1012: Controller (xbox clone) works for snes and sega genesis, but not for nes. Whichever button I press, no influence on games (Mario et friends ....) Keyboard input works for nes, too.

Thanks for that cool project :-)
  • Fceux fixes the sound problems that advmess was having (that's part of the reason why we made the switch).

As for Fceux only having a single file in the emulator directory, that's just how it is. The file is the actual emulator and it doesn't require support files. Everything is pre-compiled into it.
  • @raspradio Ok figured out controls took some troubleshooting. You need to go to /pi/.fceux fceux.cfg file. In that file you can set the gamepad.0 or whatever number you want to joystick. Just type out joystick. Then on the file look for gamepad.0 buttons and map them to your joystick. Mine took some troubleshooting because I couldn't get directional buttons to work. I wound up loading fceux on a unbuntu computer I have. Using the GUI interface I mapped the controller to the program. Then used it's config files to find out the correct directional inputs. Good luck!!!
  • Has anyone found a fix to this besides loading X then running piplay?

I am trying to finish setting up my portable arcade and would like to have nes working.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!