WiFi, How to Set Up the Connection
  • I don't see a "Set Up WiFi Connection" button in PiPlay. How do I set up the WiFi connection.

Also, can I just copy Atari 2600 ROM's to the ROM / 2600 folder? I didn't succeed because of permission problems, even after I did
    > sudo Krusader

Ubuntu 14
    piplay-0.8-beta4.1
    Raspberry Pi
  • hit the escape button to exit piplay and goto the command line:
    Type: Startx
    It will bring you to the desktop with the Wifi settings icon
  • startx puts me into PiPlay
  • startx just reloads /home/pi/.profile, which does re-run piplay, but if you exit piplay again from there, you will be at the desktop. It's a bug that we are trying to work out.
  • startx just reloads /home/pi/.profile, which does re-run piplay, but if you exit piplay again from there, you will be at the desktop. It's a bug that we are trying to work out.
  • That worked. Thank you.

My next question:
    Can I just copy Atari 2600 ROM's to the ROM / 2600 folder? I didn't succeed because of permission problems, even after I did
    > sudo Krusader
  • Using FileZilla I went to 10.0.0.5 (the IP shown by PiPlay) but it's an empty directory.
  • Okay, after entering 10.0.0.5 into my web browser I get to the "ROM Uploader". What are the best sites for downloading ROMs?
  • I uploaded Mame4All ROMs. I installed MAME (the one which has the built in installer on PiPlay) on the PiPlay. But when I go to Mame I don't see any games.
  • @webmanoffesto - sorry, but you can't ask where to get roms or post links to roms in these forums as we only use legal fully licensed roms ;)

I haven't messed with mame as the new download, so I can't speak from experience, but I believe that you need to navigate to the mame emulator folder and create a symbolic link from the roms folder listed there, to the actual location of your rom
  • I've successfully uploaded ROMs into AdvMAME and they open. This is SO cool!
    Next question. I'm having trouble starting the game. First of all there is the "insert coin" message. But there are other pre-game screens too. I click on Left-Control, Left-Shift, Enter, Space, etc. but I can't seem to enter the game or begin interacting with the game. Can you help me get started?
  • you need to run the controller config from the piplay menu
  • Okay, I see that. Thanks for all your help.
  • To the OP I use a wonderful program called wicd-curses just start your pi with the dongle in and type:
    sudo wicd-curses
    do it wired then after install unplug the wired connection. after it's setup you can SSH in.
    after install type:
    sudo wicd-curses

Then press Shift+p (P)
    in the Wireless Interface block type:wlan0
    Then press F10
    Select you're net from the available list and press --> (right arrow key) to configure.
    The interface is very easy to use, I wasn't able to figure out the one in the desktop this way was much easier.
  • i have edimax usb wireless and works like a charm on my pi.

How to install the Edimax EW-7811Un WiFi adapter on the Raspberry Pi

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    #iface wlan0 inet manual
    #wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    #iface default inet dhcp

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid (YOUR SSID)
    wpa-psk (YOUR PASSPHRASE/KEY)
  • Great tutorial.
    I'm considering pickup up the Edimax EW-7811un. Just curious if I want to use two USB joysticks with the Pi, will I be able to leverage a USB hub and keep the wireless working? If not, is there an optimal way to have two player functionality and wireless on the pi? Thank you!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!