Unable to play NES games
  • I am running the newest release of PiPlay (8.4) and am unable to play NES games.
    The error I get is "FDS BIOS ROM image missing: /home/pi/.fceux/disksys.rom" I found a copy of the disksys.rom file and loaded it into that location, but then it errors out with something else. After doing some research it looks like it is trying to use the Famicom Disk System emulation instead of just normal .nes roms ... am I doing something wrong, or has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,
    --Dan
  • It has been playing all of my .nes roms flawlessly. I'm not sure why you are getting that error.
  • I can run my roms, but I can't actually control it. I tried using another controller and did the reconfiguration again and it didn't work either.
  • you can try editing the config manually. That's what I did because I needed 2 players
  • Where's the NES config located at?
  • after running the NES emulator for the first time, it will create the folder for you. It should be located at /home/pi/.fceux or possibly at /home/pi/pimame/.fceux
  • I checked the file and it seems that it's properly configured. But for some reason, the emulator doesn't want to work with any of the controllers, only the keyboard.
  • hmm... mighty strange.
  • Im at the same point, cant start any NES rom. The difference here is that i have another error:

sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

any way to solve that problem??
  • @zebek - can you post the entire error that is printed out?
  • thats all i get:

sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

and then im on the command line, need to start menu manually again.

** "menu" is an alias icreated to restart menu quickly

• Check the name of the ROM. I remember there was an issue with ROM names containing () in them.
  • @dubstylee i cant belive im so noob, didnt noticed about those () in the rom names. Now it works fine for me, at least with that error.
    Thanks ;-)
  • Is there an easy way to edit names of roms? I have seen a program before but that would take quite a lot of work to change it.
  • To edit rom names?? do you mean the file names?? of course you can edit before uploading them.

If you already did you can access the roms by inserting the SD card on a PC and navigating the card to /home/pi/pimame/roms. If you are on a linux system you'll find your card usually on the /media dir. If on Windowns it will be located on a drive named E: or F: or something else.

You can also access the rom files via ftp using any ftp app like Filezilla or using any filemanager (even windows file manager) and writing in the bar ftp://pi@192.168.0.33
    (this is an example ip, so you need to replace it with your pi's ip)

Anyways check mholgatem post:
    http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/1083/how-to-properly-verify-and-rename-roms
  • well, changing the file name won't effect the name you get inside the emulators. I want to change the game names because sometimes they are not what I want
  • After trying to run a NES game, it crashes back to the desktop. When i navigate to the emulators folder there still isnt any folder fceux. Is there anyway to install it manually? Or which ever NES emulator is the best option.
  • Are you looking for .fceux? Try 'ls -a' to see it (linux hides filenames that start with a '.').
  • the .fceux directory is definately not there. Even after trying to run a nes game, most times it just crashes straight to the desktop, every now and then it will actually try to run the game, but i get error message saying the fceux program is missing. I've removed all symbols from my rom names, ive changed all extensions to .nes (lower case). The rom scraper wont even run? Help?
  • If I were you, I'd try a fresh install and get new NES roms. I'm willing to bet the ROMS were your first problem, and somehow you broke it worse trying to fix it.
  • So i found the .fceux folder under the pi/ directory (was hidden like you said @m_bishop), but there is no actual program/emulator in there? All my roms work in FCEUX 2.1.5 on my windows PC. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that as ive spent hours and hours getting it setup just the way i want.
  • okay, so you found the directory, and we know the emulator is present. Have you tried downloading a new .nes Romset yet? Try removing all the roms from the directory but one that you're absolutely certain should work. Maybe you have a weird filename you missed, and it's crashing when it tries to bring up the list.
  • There are 2 fceux folders.
    -/home/pi/.fceux (this one contains config files, etc.)
    -/home/pi/pimame/emulators/fceux (this one contains the emulator)
  • I bit the bullet and bought another sd card to try re-installing (I used a second card incase re-installing didn't fix anything and then I hadn't lost all my work on the first card) and everything seems to work now. It seemed like it hadn't installed fceux at all on the first card (the one under emulators). Thanks for your help guys.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!