I need some help please
  • Some Background:
    Hi, so late June i heard about the raspberry and started to look into it. After some research about it i found out about PiPlay. so me (being the total gaming geek i am) bought a pi and started messing around on Raspian. I cleared the SD card and put PiPlay on it. I Run it and the first thing I notice is that the start up menu has icon's instead of I thought sweet. The second thing I noticed is it didn't have any roms on it even though the home page for PiPlay says it comes with a few. I thought oh i must need to update. So I updated it (After i got wifi to work) and still nothing. Which doesn't matter that much since i am going to add some anyway. Now however I see some things that i don't think are normal
    The Problems:
    - Can't use the controller setup (Says " python can't open /home/pimame/controller-setup/configure.py
    - Arcade Roms won't run on MAME says missing files (i have 0.37b roms on there)
    - Don't know how to delete
  • The controller setup for the update isn't up and running yet (the last official version of piplay is .8 beta 3, and the controller config doesn't even exist on that image). But good news, we should see a new version with the controller config very very soon (like any day now)

I'm not sure about your arcade roms not running, you may want to check the forums, I know there are some things about making symbolic links in the emulator folder that point to the location of the roms. That's probably the problem if you are sure that you have working roms.

What do you not know how to delete? roms? if that's the case, the easiest (in my opinion) is to grab FileZilla (its free) and then just connect via ftp. (just enter your IP address as host, username: pi, password: raspberry, leave port blank (it defaults to 21)
  • Ok thanks for your help. I will have to try out FileZilla and poke around on the forums to fix the Arcade problem
  • @mholgatem - Those might be good questions to add to a FAQ. They seem to pop up a lot more frequently.

Like what versions of MAME ROMS MAME4ALL and AdvMAME use.

Using a ROM manager like ClrMamePro or one of the others available out there.

Where to find a few free ROMS for testing like http://www.mamedev.org under Downloads|ROMS has around 25 or so for free, non-commercial use. I think Gridlee is included though? That would work for testing actually but some of the other games are available for download.

Maybe using Filezilla as an alternative to managing ROMS.

A lot of the same questions popping up...you do a crazy excellent job of answering so many questions! :)

• That's a good thought. I'll try to get them added a little bit later today.
  • also has anybody ever messed with a rom of Pirates Gold for the Genesis? I tried to play on one and no matter what button I press it acts like I am pressing the reset button.
  • try downloading the rom from other source, some times it helps...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!