Complete n00b, please help
  • OK, I have bought 2 recommended USB controllers (SNES type controller by iBuffallo), a small USB keyboard, installed PiMAME 0.8 beta 3 onto a class 10 16Gb SD card and booted, it goes to the main menu where you can select an emulator (plus the red square saying how many games, I've uploaded a few).
    Now what?
    I can see people talking about altering files etc, where/how do you do this?
    Never been a linux user, not sure how to even get out of this menu it boots to, all I'm needing to do is configure the controllers, any help appreciated
  • press esc to exit the piplay menu to the command line.
    a good majority of the config files can be access by typing
    'cd /home/pi/.advance'
    then type 'dir' to list all of the .rc files (those are the configuration files)
    then type 'sudo nano name-of-the-file.rc' that you want to edit.

You may also need to install jtest. sudo apt-get install jtest I believe. I could be wrong on this last bit though, I've never needed it as I don't use usb controllers.
  • any help with editing the files for an iBuffallo USB SNES controller?
  • I would look into jtest, it should be able to return the button codes for your controllers and then you just input it into your config files.
  • is there one emulator in particular your looking to configure?

what you need to do first is follow mholgatem suggestion so you can find the values for each button press, then each emulator has its own method to altering its configure file for controller setup, so it will depend on which one your trying to set up.

i think you may need to install 'joystick' as well~

'sudo apt-get install joystick'

then go through the jtest to find your key press values as your first step
  • cheers guys, not too straightforward then :-(
    I'm going to be using MAME4All, Genesis (Mega Drive), SNES and PSX
  • pm me your email, i've got altered config files with the values already set for that controller i can send you for snes and mame. genesis i haven't messed too much with yet, but psx is configured within its own frontend, so its easier then the rest
  • thank you so much
  • @zzediker can you help me with configuring the zero delay encoder for mame?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!