Need help with roms!
  • Hey, does anyone have a list of mame4all roms that work? I could test them all but i really dont want the headaches.
  • pretty much any .37b5 roms should work
  • I would agree with mholgatem. Pretty much any of the old games I threw at it played fine on an overclocked Pi.

You can throw them all in and I bet you would have good results or hand pick the games you played the most.

I thought about testing them all but it's a lot of work. Especially the "gray area" games that are subjective to what you would consider playable. Let you friends and family do that. If they are curious enough to play a game in the list and it doesn't run I am sure they would let you know! :)

There's a good number of "cross over" games between AdvMAME and MAME4ALL which are unplayable in AdvMAME but run perfectly in MAME4ALL. I was really surprised how much more optimized or lean MAME4ALL runs on a Pi vs. AdvMAME.

The only big advantage I could find was there's games in AdvMAME that just don't exist in MAME4ALL due the fact it's such a newer MAME ROM set. I do keep AdvMAME ROMS handy just for that reason.
  • I agree has anyone tested the roms? I got the entire 2200 set of .37b5 yet NOTHING I run on it will play:

Robocop
    TMHT
    TMNT
    TMNT2pl
    MK
    Batman
    ddragon

stuff I really want to play.. doesnt work.. any thoughts?!?
  • try running them through a checker like clrmamepro? I have played ddragon and batman on mine with no problems. I can't check any of the others right now because it's in my son's room and he's already in bed, but I'll double check them tomorrow if I get a chance.
  • I get this same set of roms and was tested with great sucess in mame4all almost all works, I not tested all but a good brunch off, and now im in search to fullfill fba pack of 736 working roms, now im on more than half fully working on my pi rev.B 256K.
  • hey ShdwKnt
    please share names of games you cant get working, so I can try here and post results!
  • Yeah ddragon and tmnt work fine. As for mk I found it pretty acceptable for play on a 1Ghz overclock using MAME4ALL. It doesn't run full speed but it's really playable for nostalgic purposes! :) I was surprised as I read in another forum they said it probably wouldn't run fast enough to play. Maybe that was with some of the other emulators but MAME4ALL it did work ok.
  • really MK demands much more from our little RPI, but works, and is playable as you said, but others MK, does not run at all, not because limitations of RPI, it was problems of some implamentations os Mame4all in current version. maybe in future it will be possible, only time will tell. but al lot of other roms runs fine, and if you intend to play NEO GEO games, I stronglly recomends PIFBA it runs almost perfect neogeo roms (inclusive ALL METAL SLUGS! from MetalSlug1 to 6 and X)
  • Yeah I played a few rounds and was surprised at how well it did run, that's overclocked at maximum though. I have never played with PIFBA I will definitely give it a shot once a get a little further along with my mini arcade. I bought one of those little Porta-Pi kits and working on assembling that currently. The sanding and staining is the part I like the least when doing projects like this. :/
  • Pi FBA runs at almost full speed without any overclock , my case in my tests only Metal Slug 3 has some sound lags, but almost other neogeo roms I have tryed works perfect
    with exeption of KOF 2000 it not runs on my Pi (256Meg) but reported from others it runs on a 512Megs RPI! I will try after this week as I got another PI with 512Megs!
    and a new class 10 16 Gb SD card!
  • That's really nice. Is there a specific version of ROMS PIFBA uses?
  • same as mame 4 all .37b5 roms!
  • but in this pack os 2200 mame roms a lot of neogeo roms are corrupted, and need to get again.
  • Hmmm...it can't be completely based on .37b5 which I think ONLY contains Metal Slug and Metal Slug 2 BUT NOT 3 through 6 or X.
  • per the PiFBA project page:

"It should support most recent versions of the MAME versions of these ROMS but unfortnately there is no definitive version to use. A full list of supported games is in the frontend program.

Some large ROMS may require converting to the '.fba' format before they will work. FBACache_windows.zip is included to do this, which runs on Windows not Linux.

A clrmamepro/romcenter DAT file is included 'fba_029671_clrmame_dat.zip' which supports most of the ROMS that work and can generate compatible ROMS from recent versions of MAME."
  • Thanks mholgatem, that's really helpful information. I wish they would have been more specific on what they consider large. I suppose if it fails to run you could always convert it to .fba and try it.

Having a DAT file though should really make for a clean set of ROMS if they keep it updated with new additions and changes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!