[BUILD] PiMame Arcade Cabinet
  • Here are some photos of a cabinet I've been putting together:

I've put it all together on a budget, which started with a cheap 7" monitor plugged in via composite which gives a great retro look and feel to the games. Here is a list of the items I've used:

I hope to produce a schematic of how it all fits together along with some instructions on how to make the cabinet.

Any Questions Welcome.
  • That is a beauty! I have been thinking about a build for myself.
    Roughly total how many hours and much money did it cost you?
    I don't think I can get it that amazing but I think it may be worth my
    time and loot to try.
  • That is pure awesome. Amazing job!
  • Thanks for you kind comments, the overall cost was around £130 which excludes the amp, wiring, power supply, pi, SD card and time. I must admit I've spent a hell of a lot of time, I guess around 40 hours but its been a bit of a hobby and labour of love. I'm still tinkering so I'm sure it will be an on going project.
  • Hi Martin3232,

I am planning to create a small arcade table/cocktail cabinet based on pimame. Can I ask how you handle powering off the pi? I was thinking of wiring a contact to a GPIO pin and running a shutdown script when pressed.
  • I just unplug it when finished, put your idea sounds a really good idea.

I also spotted this some time ago Micro usb on/off power switch.
  • Is there not a risk that file corruption will occur if just removing the power?

That device looks nifty, will take a closer look. As my arcade machine will be in use by teenagers (and younger!), I want to see if I can put something in place to avoid them just pulling the plug when they've finished.
  • I guess there must be a risk, but I've never had any corruption (not as I know), I do keep a image backup of the SD card, just in case things go wrong. I do occasionaly issue the shutdown command but very rearly.
  • Maybe that's the easiest solution - just keep an image to reload. You'll lose highscores if you have to reload but it is a quick procedure to re-image the card.
  • I've been brainstorming solutions for this too.

if th Pi has a wireless network, you can map the folder(s) to samba share or sync up somewhere using rsync or FTP. That way you wouldn't lose anything.

Another solution could be to mount the fs as read-only. You'd need to move something's around and put some files on another drive (eg USB stick).

For power, I was originally using a PS Vita portable charger as the power source for the pi. What could work is something similar between the pi and mains-a sort of UPS if you will. That would help against forced shutdowns at least.

But the risk is only when the card is being written to, so risk could be minimal.
  • Love the cab, BTW. Mine is only partially assembled and needs more work with the surface treatment and trim (hope to have it done in a few weeks).
  • would love to see a link to higher res and more photos... and what is the 3rd pic, doesn't seem to be the same cabinet?
  • FortyRock, saw your cab in progress over on raspberrypi.org, its looks great. Setting a samba drive may be a good solution but as you say only the files that are been written are at risk of corruption e.g high scores and .rc files if config has been modified so may be its not worth worrying about, I hear the pi is very resilient against file corruption.

Bh1644, I'll try and add some hires links this evening, the last photo is the same cabinet before I added the finished decals. The screen rotates so games can be played in their original orientation, horizontal and vertical.
  • More Photos (click for larger image)
    photo WP_002231_zps38e6a138.jpg
    photo WP_002234_zps9b352d9e.jpg
    photo WP_002235_zpsdcb14a08.jpg
    photo WP_002233_zpsaffddccf.jpg
    photo WP_002232_zpsfdaf9121.jpg
    photo WP_002237_zps5e481e0c.jpg
    photo WP_002230_zps06bde534.jpg
    photo WP_002231_zps38e6a138.jpg
    photo WP_002251_zps9e234f24.jpg
    Coin insert buttons photo WP_002253_zps4150fe27.jpg
  • A collection of photos when I was constructing the cabinet (including the prototype made from cardboard)

photo WP_002159_zps78028a62.jpg
    photo WP_002157_zps4d1b0712.jpg
    photo WP_002150_zps1c71dd11.jpg
    photo WP_002149_zpsb9cd32eb.jpg
    photo WP_002148_zps20f858ae.jpg
    photo WP_002147_zps55a90023.jpg
    photo WP_002138_zps98f502b6.jpg
    photo WP_002136_zps6cb9f004.jpg
    photo WP_002135_zps7361bf43.jpg
    photo WP_002134_zps56d70e85.jpg
    photo WP_002132_zps5fa59780.jpg
    photo WP_002131_zpsf323a1fa.jpg
    photo WP_002130_zpse3e1dcd4.jpg
    photo WP_002129_zpsee1c48e0.jpg
    photo WP_002127_zps3a658968.jpg
  • Very nice, I just finished putting my control panel together today.

Control Panel 001

Control Panel 002
  • These rock!
  • Hi!

i will be really interested in a step by step or a "how to" for your work with the power supply.
    Because with just the picture i can't manage to see how everything is plug.

Thanks in advance!
  • So Rad! I love 'em! I'm dying to get mine constructed. Hope to have my control panel cut out this weekend...
  • Oh, and Bux! That's the cleanest, tightest wiring set up I've ever seen!
  • I agree with Wag, that wiring is perfect. What type/gauge of wire are you using?
  • Thanks, glad you like it. I just used the wiring out of a serial cable, I think it is 22 or 24 gauge. I do Industrial Controls design so I have to deal with a lot of custom wiring all the time. The control panel is setup on my desk at work, we have been playing MAME at lunch and breaks, I just have to finish the cabinet.
  • Very neat Bux, I'm now ashamed of my spaghetti wiring.
  • Added post to the new 'Custom Builds' section.
  • Hi Martin3232,

I'm building my cabinet now and I have same screen as yours, but cannot get decent picture quality out of it. What settings did you use? Did you change config.txt?

Thanks in advance!
  • Bux, did you connect your ipac directly to the pi or throught a powered USB port?
    Thx in advance

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!