Dell 1503fp Monitor, odd behavior
  • Hey guys. Went to a local sale and found an old Dell monitor that had DVI input! It's a nice little 15" that works perfect for a PiPlay test station. That way my wife isn't mad at me for always using the TV!

One problem though: after the PiPlay splash screen finishes, the screen just goes black! I guess it has something to do with resolution? The monitor supports 1024x768 at 75hz. It's a 4:3 aspect ratio though. Does that have anything to do with the blank screen?

If I hit Ctrl+C I can enter startx just fine. Just can't get into the PiPlay menu!
  • I ran into issues with this trying to make my pi output video to a VGA monitor, I don't know if it will be the same for you with DVI but I solved it by editing config.txt (you can get to this by inserting your SD card into your computer and browsing the files on BOOT)

What I did was uncomment (this means remove the # symbols before a line) certain lines and edit some settings. Not at my pi right now, but if I remember correctly I uncommented and edited

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=4

As I said, this was using an old VGA monitor with a hdmi adaptor, and I'm not sure whether these exact settings will work for you but it's worth a try (back up your config file).

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

That link should give you some help on video settings if what I suggested doesn't work. Best of luck, I struggled with this for ages
  • Will check my settings next chance I get.

Also worth trying the hdmi_safe option, this is a combination of options that maximizes compatibility (didn't work for me but worth trying)
  • I tried all of those. I used group 2 and mode 16 since Dells website listed 1024x768 as the standard resolution. It would look better on the startup, but still went blank after the Piplay splash screen.

Also tried hotplug and safe mode, with no results. Is there somewhere that PiPlay is specifying a certain resolution, one that is outside of my monitors range?
  • For kicks I plugged it into my TV and got the same reaction using the settings for the monitor. Splash screen plays and then it all goes blank. Anyone got any ideas?
  • I had a similar problem when I first downloaded Piplay 0.8.3
    I had to re download the software twice and start again, from memory... I think I changed my SD card as well because I somehow managed to corrupt it.
  • maybe try doing a complete format of your sd card (erase mode) and then re-imaging it
  • sorry but i think it is
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=18
    http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
  • I'll try those suggestions. The reason it did that with the TV was because I had it set for the monitor. With everything commented out my TV works fine.

We'll see what happens!
  • I know why this is happening, and will be fixed in the next build, but I will try and get an update out sooner for this. It only seems to happen on 4:3 hdmi screens.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!