xbox 360 and the main menu
  • I'm running into some trouble trying to get my xbox360 controller working in the main menu and wanted to see if anybody else has run into this yet (I've searched with no luck so far). When I startup piplay with my controller plugged in, the green box that shows which menu item is selected jumps all over the screen. It's almost like the controller is registering input on the joystick even when I'm not pressing anything. If I go to the commandline and run sudo xboxdrv, it successfully recognizes the controller (it's a third party "afterglow" controller that's supposed to be supported) and it starts filling up the screen with events. It appears that there are a lot of small movements on Y1 and Y2 based on the values. I'm really not sure how to adjust for this. I've tried adjusting the deadzone in the xboxdrv_mapping.cfg file with no luck. i've tried tweaking the value in RC.Local with no luck either.

The odd thing is that once I finally get into an game, the controller seems to work just fine and doesn't seem to regiester any extraneous inputs.

Any thoughts out there on anything else to try and adjust to get the xbox360 controller to play nice with the piplay main menu

• I have the exactly same problem! Is there any solution for that?
    I can't focus to an element of the menu exactly, it is moving around itself and stop somewhere else. With lot of luck and after many tries I will get the focus where I want it.
    Please help & thanks a lot!
  • Ok, I forgot to tell you that my XBox-Controller is blinking all the time. It is like when on the XBox the controller is searching for an free Controller-Port (when connecting to the XBox the Ring is blinking all around till the 'channel' is found).
    BUT my Pi is getting commands from the Controller and in a game it is working too!
    So, whats going wrong here?
  • I have the same problem. Does any one have a solution/fix? I am currently running 0.8beta3.
  • Will look into this very soon.
  • Hi! I am also having issues with beta3 and a wired (official, not generic) Xbox 360 controller. Getting the constant flashing Xbox button and it's very jumpy on the main menu. The axis left-right thru the menu goes thru really fast while the directional arrow keys do not work.

I reinstalled beta3 on the SD card since it was my first time with the Pi and got the same results. Thanks for any help you can give!
  • Hit ESC on the PiPlay menu to get to the console.

Type:
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add the following line between "fi" and "exit 0"
    xboxdrv --dpad-only &

Hit ctrl + x, enter, then exit to return to the PiPlay menu. This will let you use the dpad instead of the joystick. Then again, you can ONLY use the dpad, which you may not want.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!