[Solved] Noobie with loads of questions
  • Hi everyone,

I am new to this whole Pi-Linux thing and I have some questions... (most of you might find them silly)

Just a little background: I got my Raspberry recently and my plan was to use it as a multi emulator. I looked around the internet and found PiMame (or PiPlay should I say). I downloaded the 8beta3 version and burned it on my SD card. I've tryed it on my TV and everything seems to be running fine... Which now leads me to my questions:

1. Is there a way to use the roms I already have on my PC and simply "copy paste" them somewhere on my SD card? I have quite a lot of them (snes, nes, arcade, etc) plus: I don't have my raspberry connected to the internet

2. I'd like to access the Raspi-config menu to set up my raspberry. I've read how to do that when using raspbian but : how can I do that here, since PiPlay is autolaunching directly?

2b. Is it possible to "get out" from the PiPlay menu (I think it's called: the front-end) ? If so, how do I "get back in" ?

2c. Once my USB wifi adapter arrives I'll need to configure it. How will I be able to do that?

Thanks in advance for the help

Edit: Congrats on your 400% funding on KickaStarter
  • 1. Copy your roms to a usb, plug usb in before booting. When you get the PiPlay menu, hit ESC. type:
    sudo startx
    Go to folders (bottom left) navigate to /home/pi ... here you should see a folder for roms. This is where you place them.

2. Next open terminal and type:
    sudo raspi-config

2b. to get back in type:
    exit

2c. You have to go to Wifi config in raspian.

Hope that helps ;-)
  • Hi,

Thank you for the quick answer! I will try this as soon as I get back home :-)

quote : "When you get the PiPlay menu, hit ESC"
    Is it really that simple to exit PiPlay... I don't even remember if I tried it
  • @yolt1
    It is :D
    I also tend to miss the obvious. Lol!
  • I agree, you have to do a bit of research for the wireless. I was jumping all over on different sites and spent several hours. It took me a while to get it up and running. The files in the directory /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant do a good job explaining what all the parameters mean, and there are various example files for different configurations. The file associated with the wpa_supplicant.conf file is located at /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz.

It might help or it might not but I was using an Edimax and here's my config. I setup a "roaming" config so I can go back and forth between work and home and automatically connect to the wireless. It also will connect to either WPA or WPA2. You can remove some of the parameters and tailor it to your needs. The 'default' portion should connect to an open network but that part I never tested. The comments can easily be removed if you prefer a cleaner file.

/etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    # the roaming interface MUST use the manual inet method
    iface wlan0 inet manual
    wpa-driver wext # also used for intel ip2200!!!!
    wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# id_str="home"
    iface home inet dhcp

# id_str="work"
    iface work inet dhcp

# no id_str, 'default' is used as the fallback mapping target
    iface default inet dhcp

------------------------------------

/etc/wpa_supplicants/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1

network={
    ssid="AREA99"
    # this id_str will notify /sbin/wpa_action to 'ifup home'
    id_str="home"
    # scan_ssid=1 # used when ap is set to NOT broadcast ssid
    proto=WPA RSN
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    auth_alg=OPEN
    pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    group=CCMP TKIP
    psk="type_your_PSK_here"
    }

network={
    ssid="ZONE3600"
    # this id_str will notify /sbin/wpa_action to 'ifup work'
    id_str="work"
    # scan_ssid=1 # used when ap is to NOT broadcast ssid
    proto=WPA RSN
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    auth_alg=OPEN
    pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    group=CCMP TKIP
    psk="type_your_PSK_here"
    }

network={
    ssid=""
    # no 'id_str' is given, /sbin/wpa_action will 'ifup default'
    key_mgmt=NONE
    }
  • Hi guys,

Sorry I forgot to get back back to you. My problems are solved.

@hinchhinch
    It worked like a charm thank you for the quick answers :-)

Thread can be closed!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!