Missing files/ game not supported
  • I was wondering if maybe I have some bad roms. I have been getting this msg a lot. Either " game not supported" or "missing files". So far I only have donkey kong, berzerk,donkey kong jr,congo working. My error msg has come on centipede,crystal castles, golden tee golf. Is there a list of working romds? And whats the difference between advmame and mame4all?

Also, when I do play a game and I want to exit, I push esc, but then it takes me to terminal and I have to type in exit to get back to the menu. Is this right or do I have to configure something?
    Thanks guys
  • MAME4ALL uses 0.37b5 roms and AdvMAME uses 0.106 roms.
    On this thread below, there are links for both which have a list of working roms.

http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/300/list-of-mame-roms-that-work-with-pimame/p1
  • I have tried the correct roms for ADVMame, nothing seems to work. It says it has missing files for roms that are there; is there a troubleshooting FAQ for the ADVMame emulator?
  • I went around in circles on this until I tried placing the roms in both the roms folder and the emulators/mame4all/roms folder. Also make sure that your permissions are full open.
  • It seems that when you place a rom file into /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all , although the icon you press is mame4all the emulator really launched is advmame.

I notice this because when you press TAB the config/setup menu that appears is for advmame...but when you place the rom in /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all/roms then the emulator launched is mame4all and the game start without problem.... (different config/setup menu)

I solved it deleting one of the directories an creating a symbolic link to the other with the very same name of the deleted directory.

But I think, this may be a bug in beta3...

• Yeah, I have some roms that have worked before for mame4all but now give missing file errors. How can I tell if advmame is being launched instead?
  • I had to link ~/pimame/roms/mame4all to ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms and then ran mame4all from the command line and it worked. Something's up with the menu.
  • There must be something wrong... In the previous PiMame version all my 0.37b5 roms worked fine... Hope it get fixed soon.
  • @pgcudahy solution fixed my problem as well. It looks like the menu is listing any games that are in the ~/pimame/roms/mame4all folder, but the mame4all emulator is only working for roms that are in the ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms folder. I just tested it by dropping some roms in the emulator folder that were complaining about missing files. As soon as I placed them there, the games started working no problem. A symbolic link will solve the problem and not require having the roms in two different places.
  • This is correct dubstylee, There are a few emulators that need this, and I'm not sure why it affects only a few people (i had to do it for fba). In the case of mame4all type:
    rm ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms
    ln -s ~pimame/roms/mame4all ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms

This will create a symbolic link (aka 'shortcut') to the /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all folder.
  • Thx mholgaten
    For beginners, there's a missing / in the link

ln -s ~/pimame/roms/mame4all ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms

is correct :)

good job guys
  • good catch!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!