Noob troubles - cannot send ROMs to PiMAME
  • Got PiMAME semi functional, but I cannot send files to it. Getting into it direction via browser from my laptop works, but if I upload a ROM the page refreshes and nothing happens.

If I use FileZilla, I get a 'Critical File Transfer Error' / Reason - Could not start transfer.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something basic and dumb, but I'm new to and bad at Linux.
  • I use a usb memory stick and transfer to the rom folder on the GUI
  • I could just pull the SD card and load them off my laptop (same idea almost) but if it has this capability to get in via browser, I would just rather use that. But I can't, currently.
  • you wont be able to load them by accessing the sd card from a laptop. all you will see is the image files
  • what is the error number that shows with filezilla? I'm guessing that you probably need to set ownership of the folder that you are trying to write to, but the error number can confirm that.
  • If I try to dump a file over, I get

Status: Starting upload of C:\Games\SNES\ROMs\Super Mario Kart (U) [!].smc
    Command: CWD /home/pi/emulators/pisnes/roms
    Response: 250 Directory successfully changed.
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/home/pi/emulators/pisnes/roms"
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,9,229,146).
    Command: STOR Super Mario Kart (U) [!].smc
    Response: 553 Could not create file.
    Error: Critical file transfer error
  • error 553: your current user doesn't have write permissions for that folder.

try typing this in command line:
    sudo chown -R pi /home/pi/emulators

then type
    ls -l /home/pi/emulators
    it should show user pi as the owner

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!