[Solved] No Sound (over HDMI)
  • Hi,

i'm trying to Build an arcade cabinet with the rasperri Pi Model b and the latest Version of pimame. I have bought a used htdv as monitor which is connected via HDMI to the rasperri Pi. When i Start a Game there is no sound (only white Noise). But when i connect the rasperri via HDMI to another HDTV (which is newer) the Sound will be Played perfectly. I have no clue what could be the problem (and i also have very Little experience with Linux). I hope you can give me a hint to solve this problem.

Alex
  • Have you used another HDMI source to prove the TV is ok??

You could try playing about with the settings in /boot/config.txt.

Some good tips in this thread:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5062

When I had trouble with one TV, think the line
    hdmi_drive=2

did the trick for me

• Hi johnnygal,

problem is solved. I had to set hdmi_drive=2 in the config.txt.
    Thank you very much for your help.

Alex
  • I'm having a similar problem. I just downloaded the recent pimame the other day and got some ROMs that actually work but no sound, no audio at all through my hdmi port on the TV. I tried most of the games and even tried both hdmi 1 and 2 on the tv. I'm only barely knowledgable with computer scripts and stuff so I'm not really sure what Johnnygal even means by saying "the line hdmi_drive=2" worked. Any help for a newbie? Thanks! -Will
  • OK! I fumbled my way through the link Johnnygal posted and solved my own issue!!! This link http://elinux.org/R-Pi_ConfigurationFile explains what config.txt is and how to go into it and change stuff. On the command line I typed sudo nano /boot/config.txt then scrolled down to the section that says something weird like # uncomment for blah blah blah but I saw that hdmi_drive=2. I thought for awhile and figured it meant to remove the # before the "hdmi_drive=2". Then I wasn't sure what to do next. So I went back to the link (I posted above here) and it explained how to save the new settings. Ctrl X saves it, then Y confirms you want to change it. Then you type sudo reboot in the command line and PRESTO! I GOT SOUND! I hope this can help someone else out there. Now I'm one step closer to a Bar Top MAME cabinet!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!