0.8 issues with emulators crashing
  • hello all!

first, great work with pimame! i'm totally loving the new interface! very cool!

and i was stoked to see my joypad worked strait off in the menu! brilliant! everything i could ask for!

so ive been trying to get everything set up, and there are a couple emulators that crash and send me out to the command line. namely: FBA, mame4all, neogeo.

all others seem to work well, dgen, gba, gearboy, snes, psx, 2600- all seem good!

this is on a fresh install, updated, upgraded, joystick install. overclocked to 900.

anyone got any ideas? should i just re-install pimame?

thanks for any help!
  • Thank you for the feedback. I will look into those and see if I can reproduce the issue.
  • hey Shea!

i went ahead and reinstalled pimame, but got the same results. most the arcade emu's seem to run: mame4all, fba, neogeo all crash. advance mame seems to run ok, if a little slow.

is there a chance my image was corrupted or something? i will try re-downloading it and start from scratch again. if anyone has any advice let me know!

thanks again!
  • Yeah, loving the look and after the beta hic-ups have been sorted it'll be a cracking job.

Similar results here though, installed Pimame 0.8 onto SD card and it boots up fine, added a couple of games for different emulators (FTP after I got the wi-fi up and running). I have two keyboards (ipac2 arcade controls & wifi mini one) and the control presses from either input seemed intermittent/non responsive (could just require me setting them up properly for this version). Haven't tested the Strike USB gamepads yet not had time.

If the game was missing anything (samples etc), and the game failed to load, it bounced me back to the command line. Clicking on emulators that only had the "dir. txt" listed also bounced back to the command line or a long pause before the startup screen reloaded. It's a bit 'fragile' but it's just been written, so bumps are expected.

Hope this helps

Steve
  • thanks Steve! and agreed 0.8 is beautiful!

I've thrown in tester games in each folder, and I'm clicking on the title of the rom when it kicks me out, so it's seeing the rom path i think, but I'm not a master of these things:)

i went ahead and re downloaded and reinstalled 0.8 again with the same results.

one thing ive noticed is, when i after 'sudo apt-get update' i do 'sudo apt-get upgrade', but i'm always told it cant upgrade and i need to use the command 'sudo apt-get -f install' every time I've set up a fresh install. that was the first id seen of that from past versions. not sure if that helps.

the only other files I've changed were snes, fba, and mame's(mame4all) configs to match joypad settings. but this last time i tried not altering them, and trying everything with just keyboard... but sadly same result, except that snes works either way.

if anyone else has any ideas, I'm up for trying anything to help with troubleshooting and feedback;)
  • Thanks for the feedback all. It's really appreciated!

I realize it's a bit more fragile than before atm, but once the initial pains are fixed, this is going to be a much stronger base to work from :)
  • hi new here, and new to using r'Pi even though i have a B and a Pi2 i had never used them... tried piplay for first time, and same as above with both mames sends to me command line. I liek the front end menu.. is there any chance of having a mouse pointer on this too..
  • @kurgen - we disabled the mouse for the time being, but it will get worked back in pretty soon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!