Roms in a network share?
  • Hello,

I have a question:
    I installed the PiMAME 0.7 on my Pi and it works fine (the big things like connecting my XBox 360 wireless Controller etc.. will follow and we will see if is still everything fine ;)).
    I want to have my ROMS on my external HDD which is connected on my Router as a NAS.
    Is it possible to change the ROMS-Folder to an network share?
    How can I mount a share and where can I change the configuration of MAME to set the folder to the share?
    Thank you a lot for helping and excuse my not so good english.....
  • Ok, thanks!
    I have tried that the last few days but it didn't work.
    I found in a hided corner of the whole internet a information that with my Router, which works with my external USB HDD as a NAS, it is not possible to mount with cifs.

I have solved that problem with curlftpfs and it work finde with the mounting.
    I have mountet the ROMS-directory of my NAS-share directly into the roms-directory in PiMAME. MAME4All shows them correctly but it woun't open the ROMS for the Emulator!
    So there gone something wrong with the sahre OR PiMame have a problem with the share? Do you know maybe why that ist like I described?

The curlftpfs-user for the share have read+write rights on the NAS.

Thank you for your help!
  • Genau, hab kaineanung...;)
    Da hier aber ein englisches Forum ist und auch andere die gleichen Probleme haben, sollten wir dennoch auf Englisch weitermachen, richtig?

I have, of course, already tried my ROMS local on the SD-Card. A few did not work (but I think they are not compatible with this MAME-Version (0.1xx instead of 0.3xx for MAME4All) others work fine. I mounted with curlftpfs into the ROM-Direcotry of MAME4All and all my ROMS where listed. Any of them do not work by this way, so the ROMS that worked local on SD-Card didn't work too....

I will try to mount into another directory and edit the config-file of MAME4All to the new ROM-Directory. I will report the result.
  • I have tried to mount a share into another directory and change the rompath to this directory in the mame.cfg. I don't know what I am making wrong, but it doesn't work....
    I am new in the Linux-World so I don't really know if my path is correctly.
    I tried ~/emulators/Mame4All/romsnas, I tried /home/pi/emulators/Mame4All/romsnas, both with ending with and without '/' etc..
    But I don't think its because a wrong directory because in some cases the Games are listed. But if I choose one I have to wait long time and then appear a message that the roms couldn't be opened....on my share I should have read and write permissions... but I am not shure how I can check if that is true.... as I told you I am really new in the Linux-world....
  • Interesting... Could you upload your whole file?
    Try this to check permissions:
    ls -ld /home/pi/emulators/Mame4All/romnas

On the left it will give you a couple Rs and Ws which indicate reads and writes.

Good luck
    --
    Conno123009
    http://conno123009.wordpress.com
  • Hi,

I have the same issue as kaineanung, I can see ROM's in MAME4ALL's list but they will not load, it says the individial files are missing. The ROM's load fine in AdvancedMAME.

I've taken a lot of time to ensure that the set is built specifically for MAME4ALL, using its own DAT file, ClrMAME shows no errors at all.

If I copy a ROM over to the SD card it will then load fine, so I'm almost certain it is not the files themselves....

The files are shared from a Windows 7 PC......

This is the line from fstab..
    //192.168.0.6/roms /media/roms cifs username=martin,password=password,iocharset=utf8 0 0

This is from my mame.cfg......
    rompath=roms;/media/roms/MAME-37

ls -la gives

drwxr-xr-x 0 pi pi 0 Feb 14 13:30 MAME-37

I've tried with both wireless and wired connection to the network....

Has anyone got any ideas ? I was was thinking that it could be a permissions issue on the Win7 machine but then why would AvancedMAME ans SCUMMVM work OK ?
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply !

Yes, for example if I try to load 005 over the network it fails, if I copy it to the SD it will load fine. None of the games will load in MAME4ALL over the network, even though they show in the list.

I am not using any kind of exotic NAS solution, just a windows share with a password.

I have tried lots of different options in my FSTAB, including uid & gid, none made a difference.

I just seem to be having the problem with MAME4ALL, SCUMMVM works fine, as does AdvancedMAME.

I'm going to try sharing without a password, other than that I will have to conclude that there is an issue with the emulator its self....
  • I think I've sorted it, I found this:-
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/etc-fstab-mounting-a-windows-share-944766/

My fstab now looks like this:-

//192.168.0.6/roms /media/roms cifs username=martin,password=password,nounix,noserverino,defaults,users,auto 0 0

MAME4ALL works fine.
  • Glad the feedback helped :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!