Fire Burn Alpha (FBA) Xin-Mo adapter
  • I have the piMAME 7.10 build up and running with a xin-mo 2 player adapter. Successfully have 2 player with all buttons needed for both players and to play SF2. I'm new to the field and now that my primary goal is done I've found that I would like to use FBA for some additional roms to play, but having an issue getting 2nd player to work with the xin-mo.
    According to the FBA readme file I'm on 7.3 and it should support 2 player, I think the problem I'm having is that the xin-mo is being recognized as 1 controller; as when configuring the buttons in mame4all I noticed that the player two was coming up as J1 JoyAxis 3 or 2 for second player and 0 and 1 for 1 player, and all the buttons were coming up as J1 JoyButton ##.
    I tried to transfer this information over to the fba2x.cfg, but all I was successfully able to do was move player 1 controls to the player 2 side and player 1 didn't work anymore. Example in the [joystick] section for player 2 I would update A_2 to equal the button on the controls, but changed it to A_1... so Player 1 had A_1=0 and Player 2 had A_1=10. If I leave it as the _2 it doesn't recognize it.

Anyone else have success with the Xin-Mo 2 player in FBA? should it be supported or not?
  • I am running into the same issue except for the SNES9X.cfg. I can't seem to figure this out. Xin-mo dual now works with the kernel patch that was applied on 7.10, however, it was only able to get it working for player 1.

I've tried adding X_2=[button mapping for player 2] but had no luck it doesn't seem to recognize buttons past player 1. Secondly I can't seem to get axis's 2 and 3 assigned to player 2.

All the buttons work and are showing up with jstest. Interestingly enough, I can assign player 1 all of player 2's buttons/joystick configs and it will work.

SNES version does support 2 player but I suppose that is only on the keyboard?

As a side note xin mo dual player 1 AND player 2 will work for mame4all. Perhaps it's an issue strictly with the snes emulator.
  • I'm having the same problem with Mame4all... all buttons show up as Player 1 buttons #0 through 15 so I have 3 buttons in my setup which I can't use. @ID10T_Form: did you do anything special to get player 2 working? The 2 joysticks work fine, it just seems I can only use a max of 16 buttons which limits me.
  • I noticed the same thing with mine, but since I was able to get 8 buttons per player it didn't bother me much as used the GPIO of extra's.
    I just went into the general input settings of mame and mapped the joysticks and buttons to the player, didn't have any issues doing that and it finding the items.
    FBA doesn't seem to like it though which is still my problem and haven't found a solution yet to get that to run as two player.
  • @Dillon: I'm not trying to use Mame4all. The brief amount of time I spent on Mame4all, it appears that I could map buttons and use them (I don't recall if I tried to use them all) and both joysticks did work.

My overall motivation was to get pisnes emulator working for both joysticks. It doesn't appear that the snes9x.cfg supports the configuration for 2 joysticks. From what I've found/read in the release notes for pisnes that it DOES support 2 player but with the caveat of player 1 using the joystick and player 2 using the keyboard.

I want pisnes to utilize BOTH joysticks (for xin mo dual) but I'm afraid I am going to be on a waiting list until the pisnes release notes specifically says it supports the xin mo dual.

I've been reading that this is also the same case for the FBA emulator.
  • I'm having the same problem with xin-mo and FBA. wanted to play Marvel vs capcom but cant control 2 joysticks. Any solution?

*btw - mame4all recognizes the 2 joysticks as joystick1 (as noted here).

Thank you.
  • Found an interesting read.

http://blog.blaakmeer.com/2013/09/i-built-an-arcade-cabinet-and-heres-how/

He uses retroarch to map both joysticks and buttons (like we can do with mame4all). I don't know if his retroarch.cnf carries over into the snes emulation. If it doesn't then I would end up in the same situation I have here.
  • would 2, 1 player xin mo adapters (or a 2 and a 1 player) work? for FBA etc? Im guessing it would solve the problem and recognise 2 joysticks?
  • i m having this issues in FBA and this is how my fba2x.cfg looks like:

[Keyboard]
    # Get codes from /usr/include/SDL/SDL_keysym.h
    A_1=306
    B_1=32
    X_1=308
    Y_1=304
    L_1=122
    R_1=120
    START_1=9999
    SELECT_1=9999
    LEFT_1=276
    RIGHT_1=275
    UP_1=27333333
    DOWN_1=274
    QUIT=27
    #player 2 keyboard controls, disabled by default
    A_2=999
    B_2=999
    X_2=999
    Y_2=999
    L_2=999
    R_2=999
    START_2=13
    SELECT_2=273
    LEFT_2=999
    RIGHT_2=999
    UP_2=999
    DOWN_2=999

[Joystick]
    # Get codes from "jstest /dev/input/js0"
    # from package "joystick"
    A_1=0
    B_1=1
    X_1=2
    Y_1=3
    L_1=4
    R_1=5
    START_1=6
    SELECT_1=7
    #Joystick axis
    JA_LR=0
    JA_UD=1
    #player 2 button configuration
    A_2=10
    B_2=11
    X_2=12
    Y_2=13
    L_2=14
    R_2=15
    START_2=16
    SELECT_2=17
    #Joystick axis
    JA_LR_2=2
    JA_UD_2=3

[Graphics]
    DisplaySmoothStretch=1
    # Display Effect: 0 none, 1 scanlines
    DisplayEffect=0
    DisplayBorder=0
    MaintainAspectRatio=1

[Sound]
  • on mame4all i cant config my INSERT COIN button and START for player 2. the rest is just working fine, i just do a start for p2 on keyboard and play.

the frontend menu doest recognize these last inputs.. maybe ill need to change it directly on the code. anyone knows where's this mama4all config file?

thanks
  • are u guys running jtest? i could run it and identify all inputs. so i put them on fba2x.cfg but i still have no luck to play marvel vs campcom with 2 joysticks.
  • It seems that there is a limitation in the number of the button that can be mapped on advmame, mame4all and FBA.

Due to Xin-mo is recognized as only 1 joystick with 4 axis and 22 buttons...

I have P1 & P2 wired to buttons 21 and 22 an no way. P1 mapped to b21 and P2 mapped to b22. The game does not start...

Jstest is working well an the buttons are recognized... even UI_Cancel is mapped to b21 and b22 and it works... when I press the two buttons simultaneously escape.

I am a little bit lost... Any idea??

(tested in advmame and mame4-all)
  • Confirmed there is a limit of 16 buttons that MAMEs can read per joystick.

https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Troubles-with-the-Xin-Mo-Controller

Now looking for a solution to split Xim-mo into two joystick with 12 buttons for P1 and 10 buttons for P2.
  • thanks for sharing this information amr. ill look for it but im thinking about getting a new enconder.
  • JUST IN!!! I'm awfully excited; I stumbled upon this unofficial modification for the xin-mo.

See the article:

http://reimburses55.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=24228654&last=1&item=6

I have not yet tested this but you bet your butt I will be shortly. I've been sitting on this project for way to effin long. Perhaps more people can verify this?
  • Attention all XIN-MO users, the article I have posted DOES indeed work for the xin-mo dual!

1. I downloaded his compiled binary here: http://www.morere.eu/storage/pisnes-xinmo-modified-arm.zip

2. Copied the original snes9x and snes9x.gui in the /home/pi/emulators/pisnes directory

3. Copied the two files from the link above in place of the backed up files.

SURE ENOUGH IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY! Now to complete the arcade and have a party and show off the completed project.

Thank you ian57 for your awesome find since I've been waiting for this since September of last year! GLORIOUS!
  • Finally, I rewired the Xin-mo to use only the 16 first buttons( 7 per player and the rest for Player1 and Player2). For pause button I use the GPIO from the pi, with retrogame.c from adafruit** (no resistors needed). I added a new button for coin using GPIO too and so far mame4all is fully working without keyboard.

But I will keep an eye on this....

**http://learn.adafruit.com/retro-gaming-with-raspberry-pi/buttons
  • UPDATE!

I put a fresh image of pimame 0.8 beta 3 and had to re-installed http://www.morere.eu/storage/pisnes-xinmo-modified-arm.zip files.

Now the joystick works in the menu AND I can use player 1 and player 2 joysticks with all their buttons!

Days keep on getting better and better.
  • so u guys running xin-mo on fba with 2 players alright?
  • Yes... thanks to the patch described here https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Troubles-with-the-Xin-Mo-Controller. I implemented it to raspicade, and have a look to that video... 1944 with final burn alpha with 2 players ;) https://sourceforge.net/p/raspicade/wiki/HowTo/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!