Difference between AdvanceMAME and MAME4ALL?
  • I just tried PiMAME for the first time last night. Great stuff!

What's the difference between AdvanceMAME and MAME4ALL? And what directories do they look for their roms in?

What version of MAME is each one based on? Are either of them available in a fairly recent version of MAME? My roms are all current with MAME 0.151, but MAME4ALL must be old because it complained of a lot of missing files in my sets.

Also, MAME4ALL's game selection screen was terribly low-resolution, resulting in huge, blocky text on my 47" TV. Any way for me to make it look better?

Thank you for your help!
  • I can answer a few of these...

Mame4all is based on v0.37b5.
    Put Advancemame roms in /home/pi/roms
    You can use the AdvanceMenu front end and Mame4all as the emulator - see FAQ
  • MAME4ALL is a MAME fork that is built for Mobile devices (Phones, Tablets, Portable Linux Consoles etc.) and as such, configuration options are more limited. PiMAME4ALL is a good deal faster (250-300%) than AdvMAME although this is not immediately noticeable due to both being able to run many titles fullspeed. It is particularly evident with higher performance boards, Neo-Geo Titles, Smash TV, OutRun, N.A.R.C, Mortal Kombat etc. which AdvMAME cannot run anywhere close to 100%.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!