Clear screen when advmenu calls advmame
  • Does anyone know of a way to hide the pi “background” that appears when selecting a game from advmenu before advmame starts the game? I have looked through the advmenu options but the nearest I can find is misc_quiet which just prevents the advmame startup info being displayed.

At the moment you get the raspberry pi boot up text, or whatever commands I was messing with before I started up mame. (I have taken out the menu and go straight into advmame).
    I have put a "clear" in the .profile before calling advmame and this works for the initial bootup but obviously not afterwards, especially if some games give errors to screen.
  • Ok. I think this might work. I haven't tested it yet.

If you edit ~/.advance/advmenu.rc,
    goto line 40 (nano +40 ~/.advance/advmenu.rc)

You should see: emulator "advmame" advmame "advmame" ""

I think you can edit it to be emulator "advmame" advmame "clear && advmame" ""
    and that should do it. I will be testing this out later.
  • Ahh ok. I will give that a go tonight when I get home and post back.

Thanks.
  • No luck. When I try the above advmenu fails to runup giving "No emulator". Seems it just expects the executable as the final parameter.
  • Off the top of my head, would that work with the second "advmame" there? I thought that specifies the type of emulator.

Try specifying "generic" and then putting the full path to the clear command and the advmame executable. (I'd try it myself first but my pi is not accessible right now)

-lang
  • Thanks. Will have another play tonight...
  • Tried various combinations but can't get it to work. I will put this on the backburner for now. Thanks for the tip anyway.
  • I have one more idea, but this will cause the entire console to be blank after bootup.
    nano ~/.bash_profile
    then add these two lines:
    setterm -term linux -background black
    setterm -term linux -clear

Everything displayed in the console should now be black / invisible.
  • Thanks, good idea Shea.

I need to give it some thought whether I will ever need to get to the console again. I suppose I could have a shell script that turns it on again and blindly run this if I need to.

Cheers.
  • Weird. It works on one of my other Linux boxes but not on the pi. It accepts the commands but makes no difference.

I set both the foreground and background to black but it left the text white
  • I achieved a similar effect before I used PiMame (Just advmenu and advmame) by using this in .profile:
    clear
    tput civis
    advmenu &> /dev/null
    tput cnorm

--
    Conno123009

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!