[SOLVED] Advance Menu Slowness
  • There seems to be a lag when selecting any of the games listed, or in the menu to move to the command line. Should I be splitting the memory different then the default settings to speed this up?
  • I also get lag when selecting games within AdvMenu (the one included with version 0.6) In the end I reverted back to the previous version 0.5, keeping advmame from 0.6
  • Interesting. So PiMAME 0.5 advmenu was faster than 0.6? I will look into that. Thanks!
  • From memory I'm sure v0.4 had a slow down issue too, not sure if this helps?
  • I think it may have to do with how many games your advmenu has.
    I had a ton that I didn't play so I scaled back and my advmenu seems
    more responsive. I have a 256 model B overclocked to 900 with the
    64 meg gpu. My experience has been pretty good since my cleanup.
  • I have over 300 ROMs and the menu selection is nice and smooth on version 0.5 but slows to a crawl on version 0.6. It may be related to the number of ROMs but doesn't explain why version 0.5 was quicker, is it related to how it was compiled?
  • Yep, I have tried 0.6 with about 10 roms and each "down arrow" takes about 1 second. I don't recall it being like that in 0.5
  • I found a fix for this reading some of the comments on the blog. Go to /home/pi/.advance/advmenu.rc and edit "device_alsa_device default” to “device_alsa_device none”. I have over 400 roms, and now it blazes through them with a delay of 1-2 seconds after I speed through 20 of them. I ran top and found that advmenu was taking 100% CPU and found this change to dramatically decrease its usage.
  • @the_Adam or @SSilver2k2: What does this entry modify in particular?

device_alsa_device
  • If I'm not mistaken, its the advanced linux sound architecture. Changing it from default to none means that it will not attempt to use sound in the advmenu.
  • @the_Adam is correct. The sound module seems to be getting better, but still has some issues in AdvanceMAME and MENU. Setting it to none stops it from trying to use ALSA and will def free up some CPU usage. I will put that configuration in the next release.
  • wow! that fix made a world of difference
  • I made the fix as well, and the menu is quite quick now.
  • Marked as solved as this fix is now included with the latest version of PiMAME.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!