Issues with 2 different SD cards with multiple symptoms
  • Hello,

I am having some weird issues on 2 different SD cards built from same image (piplay-0.8-beta9) with the same PI2 hardware. I was having issues on the first card so built a second one and have different issues. Summary below.

Card #1 (32 GB)
    - Built off of image last week
    - HDMI works both audio and video on TV
    _ DVI video works OK but NO audio out of 3.5 mm port (for menu, aplay, NES and ADVMAME)
    - ADVMAME works with a few ROMS
    - NES works with a few ROMS
    - Upon startup I get a complete verbose listing of the linux startup commands
    - Wifi dongle starts up automatically

Card #2 (8GB)
    - Built off of same exact image file as card #1 last night
    - HDMI works both audio and video on TV
    _ DVI video works OK and audio out of 3.5 mm port works OK (for menu and NES)
    - ADVMAME does NOT work with the same ROMs that I used on card #1, choose ROM and it just returns to menu after a few seconds
    - NES works with a few ROMS
    - Upon startup I get a very short listing of the linux startup commands, and get a PiPlay motion video until menu is ready (is this a clue???)
    - Wifi dongle does NOT start up automatically, need to pull the dongle and replace it after startup and all is good.

So I basically have one card where ADVMAME works with NO audio from 3.5mm port, and a second card where audio works out of 3.5mm port but ADVMAME does not work.

I copied the config.txt file from the boot directory from each card and they are the same. I am thinking this is a versioning issue of either piplay or of raspbian but can't figure out the difference. I tried to force audio to 3.5mm plug when on card #1 to 3.5 mm port through command line and also through raspi-config with no luck. (sudo amixer cset numid=3 1) And also placed (hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1) in the config.txt file with no luck.

Is there a way to get a dump of all package versions that I can diff?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pupule

• hmm... This is quite a conundrum. You've already tried all of my usual fixes. I'll pass this along to Shea to see if he has any ideas.
  • I know this is going to sound off, but what kind of Power Supply are you using?
  • Thanks guys for considering this. I am using a samsung 1A charger that came with my phone. Great question though as I have seen video issues using different chargers.

Would you guys know why one build shows the piplay video (which is super slick and can't wait to put in my own mov) in boot while the other does not?
  • I found one thing. While doing uname -a in the command prompt I get different results:

Card #1
    Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Card #2
    Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

I tried all the update commands for card #2 and says all is up to date.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!