Raspberry Pi 2?
  • Just read an article about the raspberry pi 2
    Here is a link:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/raspberry_pi_model_2/

Basically it will be a quad core processor with 1 gig of ram.
    What does this mean for piplay? Will this allow us to run even more emulators, dare I say n64 and above?
  • I'm just trying to work out if it's legit... ;)
    The only sites (other than Reddit) mentioning it is the link above and here: http://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b

But yes, it should be able to run N64 at playable speeds. PSX at almost full.

Thanks for sharing!

• Is the last version of pimame is compatible with the RPI2 ? or have we to used a raspbian + install.sh (https://github.com/ssilverm/pimame_installer) ?

Thanks
  • This review was posted on the official Raspberry Pi Facebook page: http://www.linuxvoice.com/raspberry-pi-version-2-performance/
  • So how do we upgrade to the new board without losing all our settings and config?
  • http://lifehacker.com/the-raspberry-pi-2-is-faster-more-powerful-and-availa-1682814956

"This is the biggest change in the Raspberry Pi we've seen so far and a new processor means some operating systems won't work with the Raspberry Pi 2 out of the box. RetroPie, the operating system that turns your Pi into a game station wouldn't load for me at all. Similarly, I didn't have any luck manually compiling PS1 or Nintendo 64 emulators, so I wasn't able to put the Raspberry Pi 2 through its paces for one of the most popular projects out there. Likewise, Raspbmc, the XBMC media center wouldn't load either. I didn't have time to test other distros, but I imagine it's the same. "

The same issues will probably apply to PiPlay. I wouldn't go ordering one immediately and expecting everything to just work right off the bat.
  • Thanks gamerdad09.

I've already ordered one, but I'm fine waiting until the bugs are worked out.
  • Until the devs get their hands on raspberry pi 2's, we can't officially say what will and won't work.

I do know that the raspberry pi 2 requires a different Kernel than the pi 1, so no, a straight image for image crossover is not possible. However, that being said. Piplay itself will run on raspberry pi 2, but the emulators will need some tweaking.
  • This is very exciting. Also, it will run Windows 10, which may make some emulators available for windows now function on this too...
    I think this will open up a whole new world of possibilities for gaming on this thing and I am very excited about it!
  • @krayzielilsmoki It is true that there will be a version of Windows 10 for the Pi, but you have to wonder what kind of resources the Windows 10 Operating System is going to eat up. It probably will hog up most the resources and not leave enough memory for emulation. Time will only tell.

If anyone finds a US site with the Pi 2 in stock, please share. I would love to order one for work.
  • They had windows CE for small devices years ago, so I suspect it'll be the same concept. Windows 10 in name only, but a scaled down version.
  • @oggie
    Yep, its going to be a bit like the Intel Galileo..
  • Windows 10 is supposed to be released for computers, tablets, phones, the xbox, and more. Also they mentioned that you can use your windows 10 device to stream xbox content to so you can play your xbox games using your tablet as a screen, so we may get similar functionality on the raspberry pi.
    These are all guesses for now. I would love if win 10 turns out to be an extremely efficient operating system that doesn't require as much power to run it.
  • Or not :-D
  • So, I'm still waiting on my Pi2. From what I've read, ARMv7 is backwards compatible with ARMv6, and current Raspbian images will boot on the Pi2. If you have a current SD card image, you should be able to do an apt-get upgrade and then everything should just work out of the box, but I can't confirm that yet.

Here is a youtube video of adafruit playing my PCSX binary on a Pi2:

• It has begun!!!
  • i've asked some people who already have a pi2 to do that.
  • That s a good news. Whish other emulators will run or compile on pi2.
  • Well I've got my Pi2 but no idea how to get it working with PiPlay. my old raspi is a model B (standard sd card, not micro).

I've tried using win3d disk imager to put the piplay image on a micro sd card for it, but I just get the multicoloured screen when I try and boot the Pi up, it never moves from that.

Same with any other disk image I've tried using the same process.

The only success I've had so far is instead to use sdformatter to format the disk, then physically copy all of the files over to it like from the noob install. This complains the card is corrupt but does at least boot up and lets me select an instance like raspian to install.

Unfortunately when I try and do the same with piplay, I can't find a way of accessing all the files in the img to copy them across? (If I try and right click on the file and mount it, it states it's not a valid format).

I was really hoping I could use the Pi2 to speed up my arcade machine build.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does it need to be recompiled for the arm 8 before it will work or something? Or should I install raspian or something first, then download the image onto the pi directly?

Apologies I'm pretty much a noob with the Pi, I've had one from the start but other than running xbmc on it, then piplay, I've not done much under the hood stuff.
  • I could be wrong, but I believe you have to boot to your card on a Pi and download the updates. If I read correctly, one of the new updates includes the required updates for the Pi 2...

Here you go:

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/16982376-updating-raspian-on-your-microsd-for-the-raspberry-pi-2

[quote]
    First, we're going to get the latest list and version of 'packages' from the Raspbian 'repositories'. 'Packages' are the apps or software that runs on the Pi. 'Repositories' are places to download the 'packages', like the Play Store or App Store. Type in the following:

sudo apt-get update

Next, we're going to tell your Pi to search through the lists it has just got and update any packages that it already has that has new versions:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Depending on how long it has been since you last updated or wrote the operating system to your Pi, this may take some time. Leave it to complete.

In December 2014, the Foundation released an updated look and feel of Raspbian. The way to tell the difference is in the old version, the menu bar is at the bottom of the screen. In the new version, it is at the top. Lots of other things have changed for the better too. To get the update, use the following two commands:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

If you started from the plain Raspbian image, then you're done.
    you should now shut-down your Pi so that you can remove the microSD card using either of the following commands:

sudo halt

or

sudo shutdown -h now

Once the Pi has stopped, unplug everything and remove the microSD card.
    Once completed, remove the microSD from your Pi.

You are now ready to insert the microSD card into your new Raspberry Pi2 and boot it up. You should notice that your Pi2 boots really quickly compared with the old Pi, and see the four raspberries at the top indicating four cores. Enjoy the speed!
    [/quote]
  • So I installed the new released raspbian on my pi2 and then did the pimame install.

Got everything working now, just running galaga here, which on my standard non-overclocked model 2 run crap, is running now super fine. and just using 50% of one core.

so pimame works fine on the raspberry pi 2 :-)
  • http://www.raspberrypi.org/emulation-on-raspberry-pi-2/
    Some videos of Spyro (PSX) and Mario Kart (N64) on the Pi 2 B.
  • Thanks for the help gamerdad, I'll give it a go today.
  • I followed the procedure:

Pi1:
    Inserted microSD with adapter
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

Pi2:
    Inserted microSD
    I see the colorful screen at start and the system hangs (no boot messages)
    this was a pima 0.7 image

Repeated the procedure (nothing was updated).

If you have an idea please let me know, as alternative I now try to download a new image and need to do all the configuration again.
  • Well, definitely got further. gamerdad's instructions got me so I've now got a working version of raspian running on the pi 2. I then followed the instructions here: https://github.com/ssilverm/pimame_installer

to install pimame. All seemed to run ok. Unfortunately when I reboot, instead of it booting into piplay as I would expect, I either get an error which forces an immediate reboot, or an error about missing files for pimame and I just end up back at the $ prompt.

Seems like someone else has the same: http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/967/install-from-github/p1

is there maybe a different install I should be using?
  • I'm now thinking plan b is to run the above on my existing, working piplay sd card, using win32diskimage to read the image, then write the image to the micro-sd card to see if that runs on the pi2?
  • plan B a bust too lol. Sigh.

Last ditch attempt, I'm creating a brand new piplay install using the latest image and win32diskimage. I'll put that in my old Pi, do the updates, then see if it works with the new one. Failing that I'll wait a while and hopefully someone can tell me how exactly they got it working. If only I had the B+ It would probably be OK, I just can't seem to get the version I have on my standard sd card from my model B onto a micro sd for the Pi2.
  • Will you be recombining the emulators to play more games for mame? Cps3? MORTAL KOMBAT!? Nba jam? Killer instint maybe? Ordering my pi2 today and would love to see those games get some better emulation
  • Quick updates. On the PiMAME installer repo, thats old and outdated.

I got my Pi2 in today and have been testing it with the emulators. Advmame works so well now.

I am currently uploading video to youtube.
  • your steps in
    http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/comment/3939#Comment_3939
    helped me to install the image on Raspi2 from scratch. This is great.

Regarding SCUMM I see the following effect:

When I start SCUMM from within the PiPLAY Menu the screen gets blank, I can exit with STRG+Q.

Same from command line typing scummvm

From the Raspian Desktop SCUMM starts in a Window, I can switch to fullscreen with ALT+Enter but that does not change the size, it only shows a black border.

The Installation created the following values in /boot/config.txt

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    config_hdmi_boost=4
    overscan_left=24
    overscan_right=24
    overscan_top=16
    overscan_bottom=16
    disable_overscan=0
    core_freq=250
    sdram_freq=450
    over_voltage=6
    gpu_mem=256

Is there a way to start scummvm from the PiPLAY Menu or from the desktop e.g. to 1920x1080 in fullscreen?

Thanks
    Leo
  • @Leo - Did you try running it with the fullscreen flag?
    scummvm -f
    here is the full list of commands.
  • yes, I tried your instructions for 0.8 too. frankly at this point I think I must have run every install out there! :D

A lot of the issues I was having turned out to be the 32gb micro sd card I was using.

I bought a 16gb yesterday and have gotten further with that. I skipped doing anything on my old pi, just did a clean noobs, downloaded raspian etc all on the pi2, then did all the updates etc as per your other thread.

Still falls over for me though, despite being a bit further on. Running pimame update falls over, saying it's missing folder roms/zxspectrum. I created the folder and that worked around that issue. not sure why the folder would be missing though. I then run the mame install, seems to run OK, goes back into piplay and mame is still missing, but the install mame is there on the second page. It's probably giving an error but it boots back into piplay so quick I don't see what it is.

So basically I've got piplay and no mame arcade emulators.
  • is there an uninstall for 0.8 so I can retry? Or can I run the mame install from the command prompt so I can see what the error is?
  • @mholgatem yes tried that, had no chance from console to get it to work. However as a workaround configuring 2x at the SCUMM application settings and hiding the window borders and activating fullscreen lets the game exactly appear on the screen. So this is a valid workaround for Monkey Island 3.

@ReedyHudds I did a clean noobs lite install on a 16 GB microSD so for a fresh install this worked fine for me with the procedure of @betatester. (success)

Try 2 was a download of the PiPlay 0.8 that I wrote with diskwriter32 on a 16gb microssd. I used a raspi1 and executed sudo-apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. After that step the ssd was readable on Raspi2 where I did the rest of the commands.

Try 3 was to convert my existing configured ssd image based on a 0.7.10 version. I used the procedure from https://kofler.info/raspberry-pi-2-alte-sd-karte-weiterverwenden/#comments

sudo -s
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install rpi-update
    rpi-update

as described I was able to see the new kernel7 file in /boot

I did this procedure on a raspi1, when I switched to raspi2 however it did not boot, only the colorful screen but no text.

Solution was to copy in the /boot/config.txt from the PyPlay8 image and overwrite the /boot/config.txt on the 0.7.10 image with this version.

With that raspi2 bootet succesfully and I can use my existing image without having to reconfigure anything.

The only difference is that after the apt-get dist-upgrade SCUMM did not work any more from commandline so I have to use the workaround with startx running scummvm via start menu and configure x2 fullscreen and hide menu at application level in SCUMM.

I now have a clean 0.8 a clean 0.7.10 and a 0.7.10 image I used on raspi1 which now runs also on raspi2. Here I tested vice from the old pimame menu and SCUMM from raspian desktop.

If the blank screen issue is fixed in the future I hope that SCUMM then can be executed from command line, same for Atari 2600 which does not start.

• Have you been able to test mortal kombat or nba jam yet?
  • Sorry for the dupe post
  • Not yet but it's on my list. Two of my favorite arcade games (after Marvel Vs. Capcom)
  • Just a note to confirm that the piplay 0.8 beta 7 img written using Win32DiskImager just stops are the rainbow square on the pi 2.

i'm installing fresh from NOOBS, but ran into mmc0 errors almost immediately after install and reboot. Verbatim 32Gb C10.

On a hunch, i reformatted my card with FULL OVERWRITE option (took forever), and recopied the NOOBS installer, redid the installation and that did the trick. Busy loading piplay via github now.
  • oh man you rock... i literally expected the worst from reading all the difficulties everywhere, and everything is working basically perfectly except for a lack of sound in a game or two. Even the Ultrastik's are perfect, no config necessary.

One thing i had to fix was permissions on the roms folder. Could not upload anything, ftp or http. i just hacked it up by chmod 777 the roms directory (mame4all).

Tested street fighter 2 just now, sound is working, joysticks are working and gfx are silky smooth.
  • Just a newbie PiPlay and Raspberry Pi user here :-)

I bought my first Raspberry Pi for Mame use and it's a Pi2. So if I read this thread correctly I can't use PiPlay at this moment and I'll have to wait for Beta 8? I tried Beta 7 and it does not boot: the Pi2 stays in it's initial multicolor screen. I cannot upgrade the software because the Pi2 is the only Pi I have at this moment. I tried Raspian and that does boot and allowed me to play with it a bit. Since I'm completely new to Raspberry, Linux and PiPlay, I'm not too keen on throwing an install together myself at this moment ;-)

What would be the best course of action now: waiting for Beta 8 or trying to create something myself? Is there a PiPlay download that I can install on a running Raspbian system?

Thanks guys,
    Mario
  • Will there be a release of piplay that is completely compatible with the pi2 anytime soon? I'm talking about the complete image that we can write to the SD and just throw it in the pi2 and have it work.
  • I managed just fine doing the noobs routine with raspbian and following the instructions for installing piplay. essentially installing piplay from the github repository after successful install of raspian. The only problem i had were write permissions to the roms folder(s), which i fixed with chmod.

This morning i even picked up an old square TV, and got composite going fine as well, with sound. (Had to disable the overscan settings to get mame4all to work via composite). Noobs seems to add these as default in the config.cfg. I would certainly attempt NOOBS + github routine, it worked flawlessly except for the roms folder permissions that prevents rom upload.
  • Running PiPlay Beta 7 on a Raspbian install and it's working nice with the older games. However some games that I expected to work on Pi2 do run, but they run slower and with stuttering music. Games like Outrun, MK2, Galaga '88 are all from the late '80s and still Pi2 can't run em in a playable way. Is this because Pi2 is still not fast enough or is this because my PiPlay isn't optimized for the new Pi2 yet? Will Beta 8 solve this problem? I would love to run everything from the '80s at least.
  • Still working on getting some of the emulators that don't even run yet recompiled.

The current image isn't bootable by the Pi2 directly, you need an original Pi, and you need to run apt-get upgrade.

If I can't get Beta 8 out soon, I will remake the Beta7 Image bootable on the pi2.
  • If anyone is looking for a Pi 2 and is buying under/for a business, MCM has them in stock. Limit of 3 per order. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16530
  • SSilver2k2.

Any chance on getting N64 going with the PI2 once you have everything else sorted?
  • @Paladin - That is definitely the top of our wishlist. Both @SSilver2k2 and I love the 64. So we'll see!
  • Any ETA on when we can expect a full image that we can flash on a card for a fresh install on the Pi2? I am waiting on that to order the Pi 2.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!