Help Make PiPlay Better! - PiPlay 0.8b4 Known Issues / Bugs
  • Bug: Final Burn Alpha doesn't see customized controls.
    Found the cause, forgot to put in the config file flag in the config.yaml.

Bug: NES controller setup doesn't work.
    Need to run NES emulator once before running controller setup.

Bug: DGEN
    Forgot to git add the binary.

Bug: Second NES Folder
    Forgot to remove the second folder.

Feature Request: Controller Setup Skip button
    Great request. Needs to be done ASAP.

OS Bug: Overscan

Please add more to this thread!
  • looks like the ssh check didn't get added to .profile
  • Can't seem to be able to disable overscan. I keep getting a black frame.
  • if using hdmi, try this:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    disable_overscan=1

hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode= (find your resolution mode here - http://elinux.org/RPiconfig)

You may also need to change the 'aspect' setting on your monitor to something like '1:1 mode' or 'full'
  • Bug: dgen binary is missing.
    When trying to start MegaDrive Emulator following message appears: "/home/pi/pimame/emulators/dgen-sdl-1.32/dgen: No such file or directory"
    I looked into that directory, it's really not there. I tried the image from the mirror, it's the same, the binary is not included.

• i havent been able to program the controls for my arcade joysticks.

first problem = there is no skip button when programming. It wants me to set up lower 3 buttons and i only have 3 buttons besides my menu/back/enter buttons and joystick.

second problem = any time I try and play a game it shoots error code saying joystick commands are set up incorrect.

third problem = ROM set that previously worked in advmame no longer works. over half of the rom's i have installed no longer appear in advmame. check ROM folder and it shows they are uploaded. check frontend from logging in to IP and shows games are on there, yet i go to advmame and some games aren't listed.

Love what you guys have been doing and love the direction you are headed in, but i think ill stick to beta3 until these issues are solved.

matt.
  • I tried again to fix the overscan problem, The frame still shows up on my TV. Also, I'm having many issues uploading NES roms. I'm using WinSCP. I keep getting errors on some roms while uploading an the ones that do upload don't show up. It seems that NES primary rom folder is recognized, but not the second one.
  • Have you tried the undocumented overscan_scale option ;)

# Make display smaller to stop text spilling off the screen
    # see also http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15700
    # overscan_scale=1
  • Cavestory keeps crashing :( I'll post the actual error when I get home.
  • Hi,

Yesterday I did a fresh install of 0.8b4 and as said above the custom configs for FBA dont work, the dirst post says about setting a flag in config.yaml. What do I have to edit in there and is it the config.yaml found in home/pi/pimame/pimamme-menu ?
  • @Pristopher

The reason why the NES roms that are being uploaded are not showing up is due to this:

BUG: From the app.py file in the web front end folder, the extension 'nes' is not included in the list of allowed file extensions.
    WORKAROUND: Add the extension and you'll be all good. However, please note that the file extensions are case sensitive. I have some files that have the extension in all caps, and they were excluded until I renamed them all with lower case extensions. If at all possible, modify the ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS check to be case insensitive.

if file and allowed_file(file.filename): <------------- case insensitive?<br />
    ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS = ['txt', 'pdf', 'png', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'gif', 'zip', 'smc', 'n64', 'gen', 'v64', 'bin', 'smd', 'nes'] <------ add the file extension here<br />
    BUG: Second NES folder, already addressed

BUG: In the config.yaml file, if I select True for 'hide_items_without_roms: False', it removes all menu items including the tools. This should be updated to ONLY remove emulators from the menu that do not have ROMs, not everything.
    WORKAROUND: Edit the 'visible' property for each emulator individually.

BUG: On the ROM upload tool, the file /static/upload.js has a case statement that permits only 10 files to be uploaded at a time. This check is not working as I uploaded 20-50 ROMs at a time. The upload completed successfully, but there was no warning for exceeding 10 files at a time.

dropbox.filedrop({
    paramname: 'file',
    maxfiles: 10, <-------------------------- max set to 10<br /> maxfilesize: 50,
    url: path,
    uploadFinished:function(i,file,response){
    $.data(file).addClass('done');
    },

case 'TooManyFiles': <------------------------------ case not being detected/thrown<br /> alert('Too many files! Please select ' + this.maxfiles + ' at most!');
    break;
  • I have a standard keyboard plugged in and when I move the green highlighted box around the menu using the keyboard arrows it does move, but then always returns to the upper left corner and I am not able to navigate. Going to see if that is already reported somewhere in the forum ...
  • Are these errors normal when entering an SSH session?

-- [ ERROR ] ------------------------------------------------------
    Error couldn't claim the USB interface: LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY
    Try to run 'rmmod xpad' and then xboxdrv again or start xboxdrv with the option --detach-kernel-driver.

* Running on http://0.0.0.0:80/
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-web-frontend/app.py", line 129, in
    app.run(host="0.0.0.0", port=80)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py", line 772, in run
    run_simple(host, port, self, **options)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/werkzeug/serving.py", line 706, in run_simple
    test_socket.bind((hostname, port))
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 224, in meth
    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
    socket.error: [Errno 98] Address already in use
    cant load image: themes/default/
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "launchmenu.py", line 35, in
    main()
    File "launchmenu.py", line 13, in main
    cfg = PMCfg()
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 37, in __init__
    self.screen = self.init_screen(self.options.resolution, self.options.fullscreen)
    File "/home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/pmmenu/pmconfig.py", line 63, in init_screen
    pygame.display.init()
    pygame.error: Unable to open a console terminal
  • pi@raspberrypi ~/pimame/pimame-web-frontend $ xboxdrv
    xboxdrv 0.8.4 - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/
    Copyright © 2008-2011 Ingo Ruhnke
    Licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or later
    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Controller: Mad Catz Control Pad Pro
    Vendor/Product: 0738:4526
    USB Path: 001:006
    Controller Type: Xbox Classic

USBController::USBController(): libusb_open() failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS
    pi@raspberrypi ~/pimame/pimame-web-frontend $ xboxdrv --detach-kernel-driver
    xboxdrv 0.8.4 - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/
    Copyright © 2008-2011 Ingo Ruhnke
    Licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or later
    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Controller: Mad Catz Control Pad Pro
    Vendor/Product: 0738:4526
    USB Path: 001:006
    Controller Type: Xbox Classic

USBController::USBController(): libusb_open() failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS
    pi@raspberrypi ~/pimame/pimame-web-frontend $
  • Okay so got 2 bugs today.
    During the install of Mame I got this:
    And when I used the rom scraper (for everything)
  • ok, for the rom scraper error, it's saying that you have an emulator pointing a rom folder that doesn't exist. You can fix it by creating a folder:
    mkdir /home/pi/pimame/roms/c64
    or change the emulator to point to an existing folder by editing /home/pi/pimame/pimame-menu/config.yaml
  • ok, new to the raspberry, was hugely dissapointed with retro pi, so spent HOURS downloading and flashing the image to disk.. everything works (if thats what you call it) ive tried so far.. loading roms is a nightmare, could you set an auto network/shared folder in the file system? or put some way of actually EXITING TO TERMINAL? or any way of actually throwing a command at this thing? for the gui its running VERRY slow. no idea why, might just be the os.. everything else ive tried on another stick works amazingly well for such a lil processor... also the control setup. when you first start, you set the navi controls... wich then make ZERO sense.. using a playstation controller, ran config, works fine, x now brings up a menu, triangle is select, god knows what most of the other buttons do as its 10 SECONDS to respond to any button pressed, even the menu button, keyboard isnt working correctly, and theres ZERO mouse imput? i get what the worlds trying to do with the whole "hey the worlds full of idiots, lets make the front end as stupidly simple as possible" thing.. but this is a tiny linux machine. do you REALLY think anyone who bought one needs such a simple/useless/slow interface? not nocking the hard work, and want to continue using piplay as it is still better than retro pi... im just wondering if it would be easier for me to compile all the emu's in raspian, remove the unused software, create a skin with NOTRHING inside and use some icons for game launches? is the use of the controller to navigate why this gui is so SLOW and unresponsive?

whats stable? works? as betta releases seem to be a total waste of time with the pi... asif somebody makes a few changes, then just sticks it up for upload... like the workrounds in known bugs.. remove the image and replace it with one with the bug fix's already fixed? or a lil update file? i mean, everyones having problems galore with even basic stuff in the newest release.. like, genesis binary missing. thats pretty esential on an "emulation os" also what version of mame is this actually compatible with? as theres a whole host of people that belive a certian version and year is the benchmark, and thats plain nonsense.. so whats the supported engine version in this? as i run 3 diff versions to play ALL the games i have :S
  • @minorconfusion - If it's running as slow as you are saying, then there is most likely something wrong with your hardware (either sd card, power supply, external hard drive, or raspberry pi) or perhaps your image didn't get written to the card correctly. The software itself runs fine on a raspberry pi. If you check all of that stuff and you are still having problems, you can try turning off the scene fx from the popup menu. Also, running the scraper will greatly speed up load time when starting piplay as well as the transition from main menu to the rom list.

As far as exiting to terminal, First check the popup menu to see that 'quit to console' is enabled. Then, on a joystick, whichever button registers as button 1, will let you exit. On keyboard, pressing the escape key will let you exit.

mouse input does work, you need to make sure that it is enabled through the popup menu.

Shea is planning on releasing an updated image, hopefully this weekend, with all of the little bug fixes. along with an update file.

In the future, try to keep this section strictly for bug reporting.
  • This comment may or may not be relevant for 0.8b4, since the piplay version running is actually a git snapshot somewhere between 0.8b3 & 0.8b4.

Have a look at this shot : http://www.lateo.net/dl/screenshots/divers/piplay_shot-2014-07-20.jpg
    ("ccc" is a script to easily (re)start launchmenu.py from the Picade buttons, don't pay attention to it)

Two things do bother me here :
    - ~100% CPU while doing nothing (main menu screen). Far worse than 0.8b3…
    - one more launchmenu.py each time i launch a game. Can't keep it forever, so completely exiting from Piplay is needed once in a while to free some RAM (this already was a problem with 0.8b3 as far as i can remember).

Other than that,
    - Screen load/change is ridiculously slow.
    - Personnal opinion : fade effect s**ks and adds to the slooow feeling.
    - Hacker grumbling : had to remove transparency stuff in mainscene.py so that my volume management tweak does not look like garbage.
  • @lateo -
    in .8b4:
    - we worked volume into a popup menu
    - fade effects can be turned on and off (popup menu again), plus have been optimized. We found that changing the screen surface to 32 bit mode was what killed the speed, so that has been fixed.
    - change your max_fps to 20 in config.yaml. That will fix your high cpu rate.

I'll look into the launchmenu.py creating a new instance each time. It definitely shouldn't be doing that.
  • @lateo -
    - I found the problem with the memory leak. It has been fixed and the update is being put through to the main repo right now. If you want to fix it yourself, you just need to edit pmutil.py

from os import system, remove, close, execl

@staticmethod
    def run_command_and_continue(command):
    pygame.quit()
    time.sleep(1)
    system(command + " && export LD_LIBRARY_PATH= ")

#restart piplay
    python = sys.executable
    execl(python, python, * sys.argv)
  • @lateo - thanks for the comments. Optimization is a high priority now that the base has been laid. We are fixing the memory leaks and some of the 100% cpu utilization problems.

I'll be honest, this is fun for me. Trying to eek out as much responsiveness from such a little CPU. Sometimes we add too many features, or one too many pieces of flair.

Now it's time to polish it, and that's what we are doing. So thank you for the comments, It's highly appreciated :)
  • @lateo - thanks for reporting that issue with launchmenu staying in memory.
  • When I exit to the console and run 'startx', it restarts the piPlay menu system on top of X.

Pretty sure there's no good reason to do that ;)
  • Whenever I try to click one of the buttons like update, shutdown, restart, install mame on the web frontend, it comes up with this https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5fb0296b0a880a36bf81
  • fishfisherton - good catch. I'll fix that asap. thanks!
  • @mholgatem @SSilver2k2
    just pulled pimame-menu from git ; it is indeed much better ^^
  • I downloaded .8b4 from:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/pimame/

And it does not seem to be able to save the configuration I did for Genesis. I think that the arcade one is working, but it shows an error that I did not get a chance to really write down.

I will see if I can get it somehow.
  • I just tried a game in advance mame and now I am getting a key map error and it is resetting.
  • @lateo The next version is sped up by at least 50% :D
  • I just went to update from the PiPlay menu, and now my Pi won't boot :( I am going to tinker with it a little, but will probably end up just doing a clean install of b4 so I can get all the awesome new stuff :)
  • Looks good so far. Here is the Good & Bad.
    The controller setup is very cool. Problem: i have an Afterglow Usb controller and it is very sensitive, so i t jumps around quite a bit.
    Rom scraper is cool, but do you have to type in Y? twice to answer?

Problems:
    Sega Master AND the TurboGrafx 16 both give me the same error:
    sh: 1: /home/pi/piame/emulators/mednafen/src/mednafen: not found

Mame4All roms do not work, i have tried a bunch, file missing. AdvanceMame does work.

Good Job
  • Oh yeah, every time you exit a game it loads the home menu instead of the emulator menu.
  • @pfunk - for the rom scraper, you only have to type it once and then press enter. Or you can wait for the timer to get to 0 and it will default to 'yes'.

right now, when you run a game, we kill the piplay frontend so that it's not using system resources that could be going to your game. when the game ends, it restarts the frontend. I plan to implement a way to call the frontend with arguments that will get us back to the rom list.
  • About the rom scraper. Under the pifba rom directory I have sfiii.zip. I don't see it show up after scrapping. Other zips do show up.
  • sfiii.zip isn't a valid romname for pifba. Is it supposed to be a street fighter game? You can check out the file /home/pi/pimame/emulators/fba/zipname.fba. That lists all of the working games (it lists the zip name and then the full title)
  • Also, if it is a clone of something, then you may have to change "Show Clones:" to yes in the scraper config. I had that issue with Street Fighter II Turbo not showing up in my MAME list, because it is a clone of SF2.
  • It seems myself and a few others are having trouble loading roms for mame4all in beta4. Checking the mame4all config still seems to point to the incorrect roms folder (~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms instead of ~/pimame/roms/mame4all). Either this folder should be symlinked or the path should be explicitly pointed to the correct folder.

See thread http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/1165/0-8b4-mame4all-romset-version#Item_5 for the issue (and my personal solution) to the issue.
  • @harusp3x - yeah, we really need to have the mame installer automatically create a symbolic link to the correct directory. She is the one that deals with the installer, so I'm making notes for him. He's on vacation right now.
  • Thanks, I'll look into what zips I've got. I found zipname.fba on the fba github. Street Fighter 3 doesn't exist. It's a text file so I'll try adding it with the thegamesdb.net official name.
  • Could someone give me a bump in the right direction toward contributing? i.e how the various repo's work together, and which branches to look at?

I had a bit of a look at the repo's pimame_installer, PiMAME, and pimame-8. It looks like pimame-8 is the one to go to, and is brought down by pimame_installer branch '8'. So that gives me a good start... anything else I should know? A contributors FAQ/quickstart would be great, so I'll hopefully take what I learn and start a thread of that sort.
  • You might want to check out pimame-menu too :D
    Thanks for your interest!
  • Yup cool, thanks Conno123009 I've just run through and run an install off a fork of pimame-8 and am getting stuck into it, including the menu. I have previously been running v7, so a few things have obviously changed here.

I'm starting just with Genesis and MAME

- I've had to add type: FRONTEND to get DEGN to start - I'm not even clear on what this config tag is supposed to be doing.
    - Scraper doesn't work due to an error installing python-Levenshtein, which is proving to be a pita to get installed.
    - I also had to 'sudo pip install requests' - I can't actually remember where I saw the issue now but requests was not available after install and reboot.
    - It seems that advmenu isn't being used anymore? How does one select ROMs? DGEN just sits on the logo with No Cartridge installed. I presume this is handled by the scraper - once I get that I'll be sure to know.
    - Some other small bugs - genesis roms dir etc, I will make pull requests later tonight

Is there a dev mailing list, IRC, or some other sort of communication platform or is this the best place?
  • OK so after adding some roms and running the scraper Genesis works (without FRONTEND also).

To get the scraper to work I had to:
    - sudo apt-get install python-dev
    - sudo pip install python-Levenshtein

I thin where I saw 'no module named requests' earlier was in the MAME install, but after running a fresh install after my couple of changes to the 8installer.sh script this has worked (without adding a pip install requests)

Cavestory also doesn't install, the location 404's during install:
    https://github.com/vanfanel/cavestory_rpi/master.zip
  • And now testing mame4all I find my ROMs not working, where they were working in PiMAME v7.

'ERROR: The required files are missing, the game cannot be run'

EDIT: I've just got these running by doing the following:
    cd /home/pi/pimame/roms/
    mv mame4all mame4all-old
    ln -s /home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms /home/pi/pimame/roms/mame4all
    mv mame4all-old/* mame4all/
    rmdir mame4all-old
  • @danx, the mame4all roms not working is just a symbolic link that we missed when creating the installer.

In config.yaml, the 'type' option is a new one that we just recently added. It's basically to tell mainscene.py what to do when the icon is selected. it used to just be either rom_list or utility. It basically comes down to this, if there is a 'roms' category, it defaults to romlist, which means that it will go to romlistscene. If a 'type' is listed, then the type will override that. so sometimes we need an emulator to point to roms, but it also has a frontend, hence, 'type: frontend'

I would recommend grabbing the latest image (or wait a day or two for the next image to come out), then put it on a card. The image will already have git and the repo in place, plus have everything installed. From there, you can just git pull the latest updates.
  • I have a Beta 5 issue... GBA emulator keeps sending me back to the main screen when trying to load a rom. I already have a BIOS in the emulator directory.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!