ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
  • PiPlay noob here. I installed the latest version of PiPlay on an SD card (0.8.0 Beta 3), which boots just fine. Then I used the FTP uploader to put a variety of different roms into the MAME4ALL folder, the most recent set was called "mame4all_1.0_samples" (I unzipped this and uploaded each of the individual zip files via FTP), but I've tried others as well.

No matter what I launch, I see the game attempt to boot and I get some form of the error in the title of this post. Example here: http://i.imgur.com/155g9aa.jpg

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to resolve? Thanks!
  • FYI - Same error when using AdvMAME
  • You need to find specific romsets for the emulators. different romsets are basically different versions of the game. You may get lucky with some games, but the file contents change from version to version, that's why you are getting the error.

mame4all uses 0.37b5
    advancemame uses 0.106

• If you already are running the correct version of the ROMs, you need to create a symbolic link.

rm -r ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms
    ln -s ~/pimame/roms/mame4all ~/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms
  • @dubstylee - I tried that (as well as copying the roms to both folders directly), no go.

@mholgatem - I've heard a lot about that, but not exactly how to know what version a particluar file is. I've seen references to a "-verifyversion" command line arg to mame, but running mame -h doesn't show that as an available option.

Here's an (obviously naive) thought. Couldn't the distro include non-copyrighted roms known to work with each emulator? I've seen references to public domain roms, but it would be great to know some PiPlay approved ones to verify an install.
  • somewhere on here I posted how to use clrmamepro, it's a romset checker. I would recommend running it against any roms that you have to check them. In some cases it can even convert files for you (so I hear, but I've never tried that particular feature)
  • @robot1125 - "mame4all_1.0_samples" are not game ROMS they are the sound samples for the games. You need the game in addition to the sound samples for those games to run properly.

As mholgatem said you can use ClrMamePro to verify ROMS or you can use the MAME executable at the command line. I would only use the latter if you only want to verify a few games.

I believe the correct syntax is -verifyroms (or possibly -verify). It will verify the complete set of ROMS used by that game and redirect output to a text file called verifylist.txt. You can open the text file in notepad. If you don't have a game listed or use a wildcard it will verify several or all game ROMS, even missing games and you'll have a huge list.

On the official MAME site http://www.mamedev.org they have free, non-commercial ROMS you can test with and verify you have everything setup properly.

I believe the only way they could include additional ROMS (besides Gridlee?) in the distro is to obtain permission from the original owners (of the games) which isn't completely out of the question. I am sure the official MAME site would point you in the right direction to get in contact with them. I would think though if one game works then it stands to reason they all should be ok pending the correct ROMS are present.

I keep thinking Gridlee is included but that might be in AdvMame and not MAME4ALL.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!