uploading ROMs via web
  • I have tried multiple times uploading ROMs to my pi via the web front-end for PiPlay. It allows me to select the ROMs in the popup, or just simply drag and drop onto the page. However, even after the upload says complete, the ROMs do not show up on the device.

I haven't had any problem uploading via FTP, but I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong from the web interface, it would be nice if that method worked.
  • I don't have an answer for your issue, maybe a permissions issue?

Another easy program to use for copying files is WinSCP. It's free a free open source program that's has been around for a long time.

Once you put in the IP and logon credentials (you may if you want permanently save them) all you have to do is click connect and it works just like Windows Explorer. The left window is the source and the right window is the target and all you need to do is drag and drop files.

They even make a portable version that doesn't have to be installed or you can just throw it on a USB drive for portability.
  • I have been using Filezilla. I saw on another post though that you can just put the IP address into the address bar in Windows Explorer, i.e. ftp://pi:raspberry@192.168.x.x, then it will open an FTP connection inside of Windows Explorer, and allow you to drag/drop just like a regular folder.

As far as the original question, I haven't messed with any permissions at all, it is just a standard 0.8b3 installation. The ROMs show up on the page and act like they are uploading, but the files just never appear in the file list, and if I browse to the folder, there is nothing there. Very strange!
  • Yeah I did see that post. It's a great tip that I will try next time.

I was just completely shooting in the dark on permissions, throwing out thoughts. Have you looked at this post:

http://pimame.org/forum/discussion/939/missing-files-game-not-supported
  • What version of PiPlay are you running?
  • It's version 0.8.0b3. I just got it up and running and that was the first thing I tried to do - add roms. Like I said, I can do it via FTP no problem, but for some reason the web interface does not save them to the folder. Is there another step I could be missing, after I drag the rom to the web page, it acts like it is uploading, then the file is listed in the top section of the window. But if I refresh or otherwise try to browse the folder that should have the newly uploaded rom, there will be nothing there.
  • Maybe it's a web browser issue? A virus scan issue? I just tried uploading ROMs to AdvMAME with IE11 and I also uploaded ROM's to Atari 2600 with Chrome. Both times it uploaded without a hitch.

That's a really sharp upload menu. One minor observation is on the 'ROM Uploader' menu you have 'Restart' listed but on the 'Tools' menu you have 'Reboot' listed. Not an issue at all but for uniformity it might be handy.
  • I will give a different browser a shot tonight after work. I typically use Chrome, but I will try Firefox and/or IE and see if the issue persists.
  • Ok, so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue. It does the same thing with Firefox/IE. I can drag a file onto the window and it appears to upload, or I can click to open the dialog and upload, and the file appears on the screen, but doesn't actually get uploaded. Is there a final step to "commit" the files or anything like that? Once the upload is complete, they just do not show up in the file list. Again, uploading via FTP works just fine, so I don't think it is a permissions issue, probably just something I am doing wrong. Thanks for any assistance.
  • What happens if you refresh after they are uploaded?
  • If I refresh after the file is uploaded, the file disappears from the top section, and also doesn't show in the file list at the bottom of the page.
  • I've been curious if you have been able to work through what's wrong?
  • Still no luck, I've been resorting to just use FTP either via Filezilla, or through the Windows explorer. I would like to get the web upload working, but I'm not really sure what else to try..
  • Ok, it just sounds like one of those interesting issues that you spend hours on only to kick yourself when you discover the answer! :)

At home I run Windows 7 and I can't get it to go directly to hibernation. I have to send it to sleep and then after the time-out setting it hibernates, drives me crazy and spent hours on it to no avail..
  • I am sure that will be the case :P but I am too lazy to spend more time fussing with it, so I just accepted the fact that for now I will FTP any files I need to put on the pi. Once I finish my arcade cabinet, I am hoping that I will just put all the files on there that I think I might want to play later, and just be done with it :)
  • I used the pimame installer from github and I hit the same problem.

It was a permissions issue. The instaler left "root" as the owner of the files, and rom folders. Just a chown did the trick.
  • Will look into about the chown issue.
  • @DrHelius which folders did you have permissions issues with? I looked at mine, and it looked like all of the folders had "pi" as the owner, is that what it is supposed to be?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!