[SOLVED] Problems getting emulators to run in v0.8
  • Hi,

I am having problems getting emulators to run in 0.8 I get lots of black screens.
    I have got 0.7.10 running really well (apart from Qsave/QLoad keys in snes9x)

I seem to get memory card corruption a lot and I keep having to start all over again. :-(
    I have 0.7.10 running on 512mb Rpi (overlocked and chip heatsinks), I am using 0.8 on my standard original 256mb Pi. No overclock and running off Samsung mobile charger + powered USB hub.
    I know the charger puts out 1A as my mobile software tells me.

I take it most people are getting 0.8 running emulators?

Here is error:

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/25gx7r8.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks.
  • I can just play SNES and Gameboy on 0.8 uptdated.

NES, NEO GEO, FBA, MAME, Gameboy advanced are not working.
  • I have rebuilt my 0.8 install with Wi-Fi access and added ROMS etc.
    Currently saving card .img onto PC so if it gets corrupt again I can write my saved image and be back testing again quickly.

Just need to config my USB Datel Arcade Stick (in XBOX mode) as the buttons are all over the place!!!
  • You got emulators working now?
  • Hi,

Here are my more detailed findings:

AdvMAME - runs and exits back to Pimame . All good.
    DGen - runs and exits back to Pimame . All good.
    Gameboy - runs and exits back to Pimame . All good.
    Atari - runs and exits back to Pimame . All good.

GBA - runs and exits back to Pimame. Although it is looking in emulator folder for ROMS? (remember to add GBA BIOS ROMS to emulator folder).

MAME4ALL - Shows that ROMS are missing files, but same ROMS run on 0.7.10 (using 0.37 MAME ROMSET) - also I can get the 'old MAME4ALL' menu back, but it does not look in the normal folder for ROMS, so I can't actually try any games.

Final Burn - select ROM and it then cycles back to Pimame menu. So broken.

Neogeo - crashes my system. So broken.

C64 - where is the folder? I can't find it to add games :-(

Has anyone got the emulators I am having problems with running in 0.8? or are we all facing same issues?

Thanks.
  • We are on the same page. I just did a new SD with 0.8 beta 2 and still not working...
  • Thank you for the feedback! Neogeo is crashing your system too.... something really messed up there.

-Shea
  • Im running FBA and mame4all on 0.8.
  • after a lot of working mame4all, finalburn, atari, snes, dgen,gba, all is working!
  • could you post what you had to do, or email me / pm me. would love your feedback
  • place neogeo.zip and roms in:
    /home/pi/pimame/emulators/fba/roms
  • This one doesn't work for me Isalcedo
    I tried to put cps rom/neo geo rom and none them works... But these same roms worked with pimame 0.7 :-\
  • could run any game in fba, thak?
    im having a bad time to find a working fighting neogeo ROM to run in fba.
    i just got marvel vs capcom 100% and a bunch of old games.
  • Nop i just ré-install pimame 0.7.10 and All cps1-2 games launch and works like à charm!
    Neo geo games launch but with missing sprites and background
  • may be a wrong neogeo.zip bios. the correct neo geo bios need to be exact:
    1.482.752 bytes(zipped) and inside the zip need to be 29 files. can I point a link to the file here? I moderator permits I will. or pvt me!
  • I don't think you can point a link but you can pm me this link :) i would love to play kof with sprites :D
  • Can I have the link to
  • After some testing, more games are now running with a correct bios but only the old ones... I think... (Garou:motw works great but blazing star has missing sprites :/ )
  • I will check it in a couple of hours and Will report here!
  • I tested BVlazing star in my pc and in pifba and the results was exactly te same! no missing sprites at all axact the same behavior on pc or Pi, what is missing in your blazing star? and what is your spliting
    ram om Pi? im using a half /half here 128 for system 128 for gpu as my pi is first gen. 256K. maybe your blazing rom is corrupt?
  • Hum i was thinking the same... And i didn't touch my spliting ram for now...
    I will try with another :)
  • Just loaded up pimame 0.8, cant seem to get FBA runnig, just boots back to main tile page. has anyone managed to get it working. please let me know.
    Thankyou :)
  • I got everything working on .7.10 the way I wanted with my tankstick and fba, mame4all and snes. I like the new look of .8 so I gave it a try. All the same roms and control configs but none of the games will run. Most completely crash and send me to command line. Guess I will go back to .7.10 till .8 gets out of beta. Also can you please add in the 2 player support for snes that was shown on another solved post in the forums. Thanks
  • So i can confirm that more than 80% of my neogeo rom was corrupt i tried with some other and it rocks :)
    Now the fun is on!
  • great news thak, with good roms the fun is granted! enjoy!!!!!!!!!
  • OK so another feedback for 0.8B2:

With windows imager I've put the image on my SD (Sandisk 8GB Class4). Successful, PiMame starts.

Connected to network, ran the update script. Logged in via web frontend (looking nice and is easy to use!!) to upload some ROMS - worked!

After that I tried to run some of my favorites - but within MAME4all I just got the "ROM MISSING" errors - except GridLee, that worked.
    After the error I am back at the console input.

Copying the ROM files to the "old" location (/home/pi/pimame/emulators/mame4all-pi/roms) and running mame4all from the console - everything runs fine!

Then I tried FBA, but none of the previously working ROMs were running and the PiMame menu crashed after every attempt, showing following error:
    sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Copying the ROM files to the "old" location (/home/pi/pimame/emulators/fba/roms) and running fba from terminal - everything runs fine!

Did I miss something or mess something up?

Btw: Correct that after selecting the emulator in PiMame menu only a list of files is shown and not the GUI of the emulators?

I think I will stick to 0.7 :-/
  • on .8.0 b2 you can go on emulators gui fba and mame3all do... I will release soon packs to upgrade, as soon shea permits but I think he is now working on piplay...
  • Nice release this 0.8 ! But as many people, i got the "missing files" message too.
    Didn't have this on 0.7...
  • OK. Please forget my problems with FBA ... I got it to run - removed the brackets from the filenames of the ROMS - works. Shame on me!
    PSX - OK!
    MAME4ALL - OK!
    FBA - OK!
    SNES - OK!

Nice!!!!! :D
  • Fixes coming for the emulators :)
  • MAME4ALL - OK!
    FBA - OK!
    SNES - OK!
    GBA - OK!
    GB - OK!
    Genesis - OK!
    Atari - OK!
  • Run the Updater script and you should be good to go now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!